Above name = stupid

Is it hard to bleed your brake?

Consider I could get a bleeding kit for like 15 bucks while at the shop they'd probably charge more than that.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    Consider I could get a bleeding kit for like 15 bucks while at the shop they'd probably charge more than that.
    You don't mention what brand are your brakes but if you follow by the letter your manufacturers instructions, it's not difficult.

I recently got hydros on a used bike I got (Magura Julies, see my posts). I found bleeding and switching lines not difficult but rather stressing. You gotta be careful. Maguras are easy to bleed to be honest.

Just plug the syringe on the caliper, push some fluid, drain the excess at the rerservoir with the second syringe. Now pull the some fluid with the syringe at the caliper, adding fluid with the second syringe for the reservoir not to get empty (you'll see the oil flowing thru the small hole at the lever, you'll know when to add). Repeat 4 times or until you get no more bubbles.

Now push the brake lever draining/adding oil with the second syringe and compensating with the syringe at the caliper for some 20 times.

Fill the reservoir to the top, close it while you push some fluid with the syringe at the caliper. Now disconnect the syringe at the caliper and voila! You're done.

Follow the instructions that come with your brake and if yours are magura visit the Magura Cult Members page or post either Jimmy at Magura or Mike T here at the forums.

It should not be difficult (some car mechanics didn't even finisehd the elementary school and can bleed a brake, yours are pretty much the same), you'll be better doing it yourself. It's not rocket science.

Just use gloves if you're using DOT fluid. This is corrosive, so use gloves and wrap your lever and caliper with rags to avoid spills.
    Check my Site

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime

The same holds true here.

Sure, you could pay your LBS to bleed your brakes for you. Which would be the immediate fix. But, if you ever need to do it again and you aren't near a LBS or you don't have the necessary bleed kit or knowledge of how to do it yourself, you are SOL.

But, if you buy the bleed kit and invest the time and energy to learn how to bleed the brakes yourself, you'll never be left stranded. That's my philosophy on wrenching on my own bikes for the last 10-yrs.

Truthfully, bleeding brakes is pretty simple. I've bled a lot of different brakes over the years (Hope C2 Pros, Hope Minis, Hope Mono Minis, Formula B4s, Formula B4 SLs, Formula B4 SL+s, Shimano XTR/XT and Magura Marta SLs), each has it's own quirks and techniques, but none are hard to bleed. You just need to RTFM (read the manual) and think about what you are doing.

If you have any bleed-related questions, you've already found the right board/forum to ask your questions. You'll just need to elaborate on what brakes you are using and what problems you are encountering, so others can offer their assistance.

Good luck!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com