Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    108

    Hanging bike upside down w/ hydraulic brakes?

    Is it ok to store a bike w/ hydraulic brakes upside down? It seems like I read a post one time where sombody prefered mechanical brakes so they could store their bike hanging upside down. FWIW my brakes are Shimano XT M775 and they work perfect. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Brazos

  2. #2
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    I went back in time and checked with someone in 2002 and they said it's not a problem.

  3. #3
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,855
    You should be ok to hang your bike upside down. Hydraulic brakes are designed to be sealed systems. Occasionally you will get one that might get some air in the system from hanging it upside down, but this isn't the norm.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,428
    Your brakes will be fine.

    BUT.

    What is your fork? Rockshox forks in particular do not like being hung upside down for any length of time. But with any suspension fork it's not generally advisable to leave it upside down for storage.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    108
    Thanks Fix the Spade. I did not even think about the Reba fork. I was about to go hank my bike up. I knew the brakes were sealed and in theory should be ok (though a lot of my theories turn out bad which is why I asked). I guess I will figure out a new plan.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazos
    Thanks Fix the Spade. I did not even think about the Reba fork. I was about to go hank my bike up. I knew the brakes were sealed and in theory should be ok (though a lot of my theories turn out bad which is why I asked). I guess I will figure out a new plan.

    Air will not get into the brake system no matter which way you hang it.
    But trapped air in the system can migrate to the lever and cause issues. There shouldn't be air in the system but it is not always an apparent issue until it reaches the lever.

    I have been hanging my wife's bike with a RS Pike 454 from a hook now for 3 years with no ill effects whatsoever. And I hang my other bikes the same way. It has also been hypothesized that hanging forks upside down allows oil to saturate the seals which in turn helps keep the fork seals lubricated.

  7. #7
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,379
    Fox actually recommends "As a general practice, the bicycle (or the fork) should be stored upside-down, to maintain lubrication of the dust wipers and foam rings".
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    74
    I hung my bike upside down for a long time. The brakes are find but the RockShox Dart2 was oily on the top

  9. #9
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    Your brakes will be fine.

    BUT.

    What is your fork? Rockshox forks in particular do not like being hung upside down for any length of time. But with any suspension fork it's not generally advisable to leave it upside down for storage.
    Fox recommends this practice.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: riperush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    i was wondering about something like this too. I was thinking maybe hanging my bike by the front tire via "J" hook. I have a Rock Shox Tora front fork, so I'm assuming this probably wouldn't be a good idea? Maybe hang from the rear tire?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,736
    Hang it by the front wheel, hang it by the back wheel, hang
    it upside down, or rightside up. I reall don't think it matters. A
    lot worse happens when you ride the you know what out of it.

    Best, John

  12. #12
    Singletracker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Air will not get into the brake system no matter which way you hang it.
    But trapped air in the system can migrate to the lever and cause issues. There shouldn't be air in the system but it is not always an apparent issue until it reaches the lever.
    If hanging a bike upside down migrated trapped air through the system it would go to the calipers not the levers.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LarryFahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,628
    When you take the bike down, cycle the fork several times before actually riding it.

    "If hanging a bike upside down migrated trapped air through the system it would go to the calipers not the levers."

    Word! Ttyl, Fahn

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_neon
    If hanging a bike upside down migrated trapped air through the system it would go to the calipers not the levers.

    Yep I misread the the OP. I hang my bikes from one hook not 2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •