Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by wenna View Post
    I agree with you, they should make it public. But to their credit they are really fast to reply on e-mail and they told me the range. But yeah... you shouldn´t have to ask for it.
    Care to share that range with us?
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Care to share that range with us?
    Already did

Edit:
    If the serial number of your brake starts with 26T7 or higher you have 2nd generation. Lower like 21T7 and its 1st generation.

middle ring single track
    Already did
    Now I remember! Thanks
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Funny thing though is that out of my two brakes, one of them feels sticky when indoor in my apartment. BUT.... the one that feels sticky in room temperature is the one with the caliper serial suggesting its 2nd generation. The other one that according to serial nr is 1st generation feels snappy and good in room temperature.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I agree with you, they should make it public. But to their credit they are really fast to reply on e-mail and they told me the range. But yeah... you shouldn´t have to ask for it.
    No, they really should do a recall, but I'm sure that would be expensive.

mtbr member
    Are the 2017 brakes also affected by this?
    Look, they can't fix this. Have you any idea how long this nonsense has been going on? I was pulling stuck brakes off bikes years ago, and we're still talking about it?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Edit:
    Just received news from Sram that one of my brakes has 1st generation and the CPA parts still are red.....so red CPA internals is not a sign of 2nd generation.

If the serial number of your brake starts with 26T7 or higher you have 2nd generation. Lower like 21T7 and its 1st generation.
    Crap.. based on this I have the 1st gen. Well, I was thinking about replacing them anyway. Might make a good winter project.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Look, they can't fix this. Have you any idea how long this nonsense has been going on? I was pulling stuck brakes off bikes years ago, and we're still talking about it?
    Has shimano been able to fix the wandering bite point problem? That's actually a serious question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Now 7-8 months later, there's apparently fluid getting past a seal on my rear brake's lever, presumably at the piston. One of the guys at SRAM talked me through a host of possibilities, most of which I'd already confirmed were not the problem. He even went and consulted whoever else, and called me back months they were working properly.
    Ok, this was my fault, not the brake's. Why it took months, why it's only the rear brake and how the brake was losing pressure without a noticeable fluid leak, I don't know. I suppose whatever tiny amount of fluid leaked out was chalked up to removing the syringe after bleeding(plus I spray down the caliper immediately due to the DOT fluid).
    Anyway, after swapping pistons again, the problem with my rear brake persisted. I got the bright idea of hooking a Guide lever to a Level caliper, having read their valving was the same. And it worked, my lever was good to go. That narrowed things down to the Guide caliper. I kept wondering why everything was fine during the bleed, but not afterward, and that made it pretty obvious, especially when I'd had some nagging thought about the bleed screw bottoming out not feeling right. And that was it. Those extra o-rings in my stainless caliper hardware kit weren't extras, and I didn't have an o-ring under the bleed screws. Duh.

Stupid stainless bolts. They look pretty sharp, though, and go ok with the ti mounting bolts. There's an OEM ti set(Guide Ultimate?), too, but I wasn't willing to pay for it.
    Guide RS Levers not Returning: Replaced Under Warranty-20171011_084018.jpg
    I feel like an idiot over that o-ring, but *am* glad I got the new pistons swapped in. I can swap lever pistons and get a perfect bleed blindfolded at this point, too

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Edit:
    Just received news from Sram that one of my brakes has 1st generation and the CPA parts still are red.....so red CPA internals is not a sign of 2nd generation.

So I got the option from the shop to return my brake and get a new one sent to me. This is just too much of a hassle as I have to remove the brake, package it, send it, whait for new one, install new one, cut brake line, bleed the brake.

Ended up with them sending me the updated internals kit including a bottle of dot fluid and some dot grease and I´ll change the internals myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I feel like an idiot over that o-ring, but *am* glad I got the new pistons swapped in. I can swap lever pistons and get a perfect bleed blindfolded at this point, too
    Funny I posted that, and when I went to ride, the rear brake "pumped up", and the lever became rock hard with no free movement. I ended up bleeding it again, even draining fluid, squeezing the lever with the caliper bleed screw out, to see if that would relieve pressure in the system. Something, anything. Lever would loosen up and go to the bar, but then pump up again the next time it was squeezed. I kept trying, and the brake actually works perfectly right now(but...why, how?), just firmer at the lever and faster engaging than the front, so it has to be feathered more lightly to modulate. All my problems have been with that same brake, while the front is still fine. I've run out of patience with trying to fix it, being lied to by both my LBS and internet dealer when trying to warranty it, and now having it inexplicably working, yet wondering what it will do next. Don't know, don't care, done with it. Figure it's best to replace them while they're still working, and spent almost $400 getting a set of Maguras with rotors, extra pads, fluid, bleed kit, etc. headed my way this morning. If they're all they're cracked up to be, it will be well worth it not to have to fool with these Guides any more.
    I hope for everyone else that the warranty replacements and Generation 2 versions are free of issues, but that'll be for someone else to discover...

mtbr member
    Can't help but keep brainstorming. My job is basically keeping problems from happening within multiple contained systems, fixing them when they do, and then keeping them from happening again...
    Since I temporarily used a Level with the same brake line, I cut a bit of excess length off, and switched the barb and olive to the newer "Stealthamajig" ones that are supposed to be backwards compatible. I'd be interested to hear if anyone is using them with older Guides, and am actually kind of tempted to try again with the old style fittings just to see. I tend not to quit plugging away at a mystery problem until there are no stones left unturned

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Has shimano been able to fix the wandering bite point problem? That's actually a serious question.
    You'll probably find that all manufacturers have had issues with their brakes. What makes Avid/SRAM special is that they have had more or less exactly the same issue from day one and it still keeps reoccurring. Some balloon neg-reped me for saying that they cannot fix this but I've yet to see the evidence that says otherwise. They have yet to produce a series of brakes that has no seizing issues.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    You'll probably find that all manufacturers have had issues with their brakes. What makes Avid/SRAM special is that they have had more or less exactly the same issue from day one and it still keeps reoccurring. Some balloon neg-reped me for saying that they cannot fix this but I've yet to see the evidence that says otherwise. They have yet to produce a series of brakes that has no seizing issues.
    Some balloon? Now that's funny. I'm picturing some troll face painted on a red balloon floating away in panic. You've made my day.

To their credit, you have to admit, with the Guides SRAM found a completely NEW way to cause the brakes to seize, it's a completely different problem than the Elixirs, which nearly the same result. I mean, ultimately, that takes a certain amount of talent, does it not? Either that, or a room full of engineers that don't know how to balance a differential equation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Some balloon? Now that's funny.
    Well, I don't mind getting neg-rep if I say something horrible or stupid but kinda pisses you off when you get it for saying something that's patently true. I would've neg-repped him back but I've already pos-repped him so I can't... yet ;0)

That's what I mean about them not being able to fix it. There is clearly some defect in the design department when they keep making the same sort of mistakes. I just don't see any reason to trust these people.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456