Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15

    Grimeca Hydro problem

    I have bled my rear brake twice now and the feel from the lever is very soft. Also the brake does not grab half as hard as the front one. I have good pad thickness left. Any suggestions? I am running a Grimeca System 8 with recommended DOT 3. Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: badlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    293

    From my personal experience

    Quote Originally Posted by tommybilt
    I have bled my rear brake twice now and the feel from the lever is very soft. Also the brake does not grab half as hard as the front one. I have good pad thickness left. Any suggestions? I am running a Grimeca System 8 with recommended DOT 3. Thanks
    The only way for a "soft" lever to be fixed is to re-bleed the brakes. My guess is that you still have air in the system. Air in the system give a soft feel as it compressess where the brake fluid does not. Somewhere in there is some air. The other thing that occurrs to me is that your brake fluid might be old. Brake fluid absorbes moisture from the air and becomes less effective, although that usually shows up as boiling when they get hot. Hope this helps. Rick

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lebikerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,739
    Grimeca System 8's are noted for "soft" levers if they need rebuilding. This entails a new rubber part (can't recall the name) which is in the master cyclinder assembly. This part should still be availible from a LBS that deals with the Grimeca distributor in your area.
    If you can't source it, Orange Sport in North Vancouver has them...
    http://www.orangesportsupply.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by badlander
    The only way for a "soft" lever to be fixed is to re-bleed the brakes. My guess is that you still have air in the system. Air in the system give a soft feel as it compressess where the brake fluid does not. Somewhere in there is some air. The other thing that occurrs to me is that your brake fluid might be old. Brake fluid absorbes moisture from the air and becomes less effective, although that usually shows up as boiling when they get hot. Hope this helps. Rick

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    Grimeca System 8's are noted for "soft" levers if they need rebuilding. This entails a new rubber part (can't recall the name) which is in the master cyclinder assembly. This part should still be availible from a LBS that deals with the Grimeca distributor in your area.
    If you can't source it, Orange Sport in North Vancouver has them...
    http://www.orangesportsupply.com/
    http://www.vueltausa.com/grimeca_doc...inder%2045.pdf
    Do you see the part on this page?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lebikerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,739
    It's either the reservoir gasket or cylindrical gasket which is contained in the last kit. Those parts are availible seperately in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommybilt

  6. #6
    Authority is dead!
    Reputation: Lucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    make sure you pump them instead of bleeding just like you would do with your car. When you do that, pistons have to be in "working" position and the bleed screw has to be pointing down.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

    [size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

  7. #7
    Authority is dead!
    Reputation: Lucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    It's either the reservoir gasket or cylindrical gasket which is contained in the last kit. Those parts are availible seperately in Canada.
    lebikerboy , is System 17 available through Canada dealers?

    Thanks!
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

    [size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lebikerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,739
    They had the six piston 17's in stock before Christmas but, they were tres expensive.
    If you want a six piston brake, I think the Hope Mono 6's are a better deal...
    http://www.go-ride.com/prod_brakes.html#hope
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    lebikerboy , is System 17 available through Canada dealers?

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    make sure you pump them instead of bleeding just like you would do with your car. When you do that, pistons have to be in "working" position and the bleed screw has to be pointing down.
    Could you be a little more specific? Do I add fluid as I am pumping them? As for the bleeding screw it is only something that I can back off a little to allow the fluid to come out.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,754
    If you think you have done a good bleed job and before you pull the master cyclinder
    apart, then it might be that the reach adjuster (the small allen headed bolt between the lever and the handlebars) needs to be screwed in further so that lever effectively pushes the pistons further. I don't know that these brakes have this, but assume they do just like the Shimano clone versions.

    Wombat

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lebikerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,739
    Grimeca are not the clones, Shimano are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    If you think you have done a good bleed job and before you pull the master cyclinder
    apart, then it might be that the reach adjuster (the small allen headed bolt between the lever and the handlebars) needs to be screwed in further so that lever effectively pushes the pistons further. I don't know that these brakes have this, but assume they do just like the Shimano clone versions.

    Wombat

  12. #12
    Authority is dead!
    Reputation: Lucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by tommybilt
    Could you be a little more specific? Do I add fluid as I am pumping them? As for the bleeding screw it is only something that I can back off a little to allow the fluid to come out.
    ok, here it comes:

    1. position your lever so it's perpendicular to the ground.
    2. back out your reach adjustment screw as far as you can
    3. set you caliper so its bleeding screw is looking down on the ground.
    4. fit a wrench over it and than a clear plastic tube over the nozzle of the bleeding screw.
    5. pop reservoir's cap on your master cylinder.
    6. carefully pump the lever a few times as hard as you can.
    7. last time you pump it, hold it, don't let it go.
    8. at that moment you open bleeding screw with the wrench that was attached to it before and see fluid come out. As soon as it stops coming out, close it.
    9. Let the lever go. ADD FLUID to the reservoir. Make sure that there is always enough fluid in the reservoir so even if the level drops after you pump, it doesn't suck in air
    10. repeat 6-9 a couple of time untill the lever gets firmer.
    11. when done, top out reservoir with fluid swo it leaks out when you close the cap. Clean up the mess as it is DOT and it eats paint.

    Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

    [size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,754
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    Grimeca are not the clones, Shimano are.
    Yes, that's what I said.

    Wombat

Similar Threads

  1. Grimeca Hydro problem
    By tommybilt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 10:11 PM
  2. Grimeca Hydro, where?
    By Lucky13 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 11:22 AM
  3. WB's fork problem...
    By mdutcher in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 10:20 PM
  4. Big big big brake problem....
    By AdamOn6thStreet in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 01:33 PM
  5. Problem, Problem, Problem?
    By Mack in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •