mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Grimeca Disc Brake Fluid

I believe Grimeca System 8 Brakes use DOT brake fluid. These are virtually the same disc system as the SHIMANO XT Discs ( older, non splined system). I was wondering if they can be bled and use Shimano Mineral Oil without any problems or are there downsides that I have to worry about?

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by jisozaki
    I believe Grimeca System 8 Brakes use DOT brake fluid. These are virtually the same disc system as the SHIMANO XT Discs ( older, non splined system). I was wondering if they can be bled and use Shimano Mineral Oil without any problems or are there downsides that I have to worry about?
    All the seals are different, made for DOT fluid. Not sure you'd want to switch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    All the seals are different, made for DOT fluid. Not sure you'd want to switch.
    My non-mechanical mind understands not switching from Mineral Oil to corrosive Brake Fluid but it would seem that going from Brake Fluid to non-corrosive Mineral oil might be okay. Am I wrong?

Uber V Cripp
    Quote Originally Posted by jisozaki
    My non-mechanical mind understands not switching from Mineral Oil to corrosive Brake Fluid but it would seem that going from Brake Fluid to non-corrosive Mineral oil might be okay. Am I wrong?
    As explained to me by the SRAM guy..... The weight of DOT fluid is heavier then mineral oil and will change the lever feel in a way that wouldn't be good (what that means I don't know as I have never experimented). Plus you will never be able to put DOT fluid back in to "fix" them as some mineral oil will still be in the system and inversely DOT fluid will still be in the system before you change the fluid type. I was also told that you shouldn't mix fluids (why I don't know)?? You will also ruin the seals. Basically it sounds as if you will ruin your brakes if you do that or atleast get subpar performance. Better to leave well enough alone IMO......jdcamb

Authority is dead!

dot

DOT 3/4 for Grimeca only.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]