mtbr member
    Jun 2013

grease on my pads?? HELP

Yesterday i was washing my bike after a muddy ride and went back out for a quick ride and my brakes were working like a charm. But i forgot to re-lube my chain. when i got back home i squirted WD-40 on my chain and worked it in and went in for the day. i came out today to ride and was coming out of my driveway and realized my brakes were barely working. i took it around the block to try and figure out what was going on and they still weren't doing anything and the rotors were getting really hot. so i got the thinking and maybe i got WD-40 overspray on my rotors? the shimano manual says to buy new pads but i don't want to because they're almost brand new. is there any home remedies for getting my pad back to normal or am i better off buying new ones??
    Please help. Thanks, Anthony

mtbr member

Re: grease on my pads?? HELP

WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT!

Find a chain lube for your conditions.

Search brake forum for answers, or buy new ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Get new pads, clean the rotors to remove all residue and keep the WD40 far away from your bike for ever.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT!
    Some WD40 products are.

WD-40 BIKE | A comprehensive line of bicycle care products developed for cyclists and mechanics

Only 5 lives left
    Take the pads out and fry the residue off with a propane torch..... or throw them out and buy new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Wishful Tomcat. that worked really well. I have almost all my stopping power back!! i'll give it the real test tomorrow. but i think they'll be fine after a ride or 2. Thanks you saved me about $20 bucks!

MTB B'dos
    yup, burning the pads can sometimes work, but sometimes not. As said, keep the WD-40 (water displacement formula #40) away from your bike, actually keep all spray lubricants away from you bike as over spray is very easy to get on brake rotors and pads. Make sure you thoroughly clean the rotors also with alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    Take the pads out and fry the residue off with a propane torch..... or throw them out and buy new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas HD View Post
    Thanks Wishful Tomcat. that worked really well. I have almost all my stopping power back!! i'll give it the real test tomorrow. but i think they'll be fine after a ride or 2. Thanks you saved me about $20 bucks!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Only 5 lives left
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas HD View Post
    Glad it worked!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Take some medium grade sandpaper and go over your pads around in a circular motion.

They should be good as new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    OK, ill try that sandpaper trick in a few. Thanks for the input! But since it seems like WD-40 is forbidden in the MTB world what are some good chain lubes??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Tri-flo be all and end all. Works on everything - Seals, chain, pivots, nipples, spokes. Just remember wipe the chain after 5 minutes, you want it in the links not lathered all over. Stay away from dry lube unless your in extremely wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I like Dumonde Tech Lite Bicycle Chain Lubrication

Plays with tools
    For the record, WD-40 has plenty of uses on bicycles, but it needs to be used appropriately like every lubricant.