mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Grabbing Disc Rotor/Hayes/Alligator Wind-Cutter

I recently installed a set of Hayes Stroker Trail brakes with sintered pads on my bike and am using them with the Alligator wind-cutter rotors that were already in use, they had about 7 hours of use on them. I pulled the rotors cleaned them and lightly sanded them before installing the new brakes. The rotors are installed on a set of Mavic Crosstrail wheels using the Mavic center-lock adapter. The front disc is 203mm and during the bed in process it started to grab or brake harder at one spot spot on the circumference of the rotor, the same spot every rotation of the tire. I have checked the rotor and as far as I can tell the rotor is not bent nor does it rub when the brakes are not applied. The brakes are grabbing hard enough that I can see it being a problem on slow technical sections of a trail. The old brakes were Avid juicy 5 with semi metallic pads and did not grab or if they did it was not very noticeable. The Hayes brakes do have better stopping power compared to the Avids even though they are not bedded in completely yet. At this point I am going to borrow a set of dial calipers and check the thickness of the rotors and see if it is thicker in the area it is grabbing. Any thoughts as to a solution other than replacing the rotor?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    do a bunch of hard stops and see if it gets better?

clean everything with carb cleaner.

thats all i can think of right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Improper burn in. You need to clean the rotor off with White Lightning Clean Streak or isopropyl alcohol and burn the pads in again, this time grabbing the lever firmly from a good bit of speed to make sure the pads burn in evenly into the rotor.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by juancancook View Post
    Improper burn in. You need to clean the rotor off with White Lightning Clean Streak or isopropyl alcohol and burn the pads in again, this time grabbing the lever firmly from a good bit of speed to make sure the pads burn in evenly into the rotor.
    Spoke with Hayes tech support and they stated same thing that the pads had laid down more material on that part of the rotor. I took off the rotor, did a much better sanding job then cleaned it first with electrical contact cleaner then isopropyl alcohol. I had a larger area with a down hill to burn the pads in and that took care of the issue. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Update. Same think keeps happening.

Well......after cleaning, resurfacing and rotating the rotor several times the same problem keeps popping up in the same place on the rotor. After several conversations with the tech guys at Hayes, we have decided that the rotor is the problem since the pads keep laying down more material each time at the same spot on the rotor. Has anyone had this happen before?