mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Got XT hydro brakes!!...easy to shorten cables??

brakes work very good but i am amazed at how long the lines are.

is it easy to shorten them up?can i just cut and put back together and let them gravity blead by taking the top cap out?
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

Picture Unrelated
    Very easy to shorten the hose. Pump the brakes so that the pistons are nearly coming out of the caliper (I said nearly, be really careful you don't pop them out) and remove and cut the line to length. Put all the fittings back on and install the line back into the lever (make sure the line is seated all the way into the lever body). Pop open the cover on the lever reservoir and gently pry the pistons back into their fully retracted position. If all goes according to plan you'll push any air that might have snuck in during the cut out with the fluid held in the pistons.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Plays with tools
    I've always had good luck by just squeezing the lever slightly while reinserting the cut hose. But the process zebrahum described sounds a little more full proof.

empty beer member
    Fwiw, I was pretty worried when I had to cut my XTR lines and was surprised at how simple it was when I was done. I did it the same way zebrahum explained and haven't had any issues.

One Gear
    Shimano Tech Docs

Download the directions. It's a piece of cake.

mtbr member
    I cut mine and put em back on w no bleed. I've been riding them for months and they are flawless.

Lindsay
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Very easy to shorten the hose. Pump the brakes so that the pistons are nearly coming out of the caliper (I said nearly, be really careful you don't pop them out) and remove and cut the line to length. Put all the fittings back on and install the line back into the lever (make sure the line is seated all the way into the lever body). Pop open the cover on the lever reservoir and gently pry the pistons back into their fully retracted position. If all goes according to plan you'll push any air that might have snuck in during the cut out with the fluid held in the pistons.

Mine didn't go according to plan. Any tips on how to bleed these brakes fast, and painless?

Why me ......