mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Got a strange problem with Shimano M486 hydros..

Just got a Giant Anthem X3 that came with the Shimano M486's. They seem to work fine, but everytime I take the front wheel off, I have to realign the caliper to keep it from rubbing on one side of the rotor. I could align it, and take the wheel off again, without riding it, and I'd have to realign it again. Not sure if it actually had anything to do with the caliper or rotor but the wheel seems to be in the same place everytime. Really baffling. Anyone else have this happen?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shwndh
    Just got a Giant Anthem X3 that came with the Shimano M486's. They seem to work fine, but everytime I take the front wheel off, I have to realign the caliper to keep it from rubbing on one side of the rotor. I could align it, and take the wheel off again, without riding it, and I'd have to realign it again. Not sure if it actually had anything to do with the caliper or rotor but the wheel seems to be in the same place everytime. Really baffling. Anyone else have this happen?

Yup I kinda solved the problem by pressing the wheel into the dropouts with my gut while I did the dropout up....

It maybe that you also have a sticky piston.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Yup I kinda solved the problem by pressing the wheel into the dropouts with my gut while I did the dropout up....

It maybe that you also have a sticky piston.
    OK. I'll have to check to see if the piston is sticking. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Thanx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most if not all disc brakes do that with a 9mm QR wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I must be lucky - have 3 sets of wheels and none do that.

Check for a sticky piston and a loose wheel bearing.
    Try to be consistent with the amount of pressure you use to close the quick release. You may have to mark the axle and rotate the axle to the same position each time. As mentioned, make sure it's fully seated.