the catalan connection

Goodridge hose. Is this looking normal?

I was going to put a longer Goodridge hose on my new frame when I noticed this spot on it. Looks like the outer plastic is burnt, yet the braided metal appears to be just fine underneath...whatever, Iīm just guessing. Can anyone tell me If thatīs normal?
    Letīs see if I can avoid another trip to the shop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goodridge hose. Is this looking normal?-imag0270.jpg  

Goodridge hose. Is this looking normal?-imag0274.jpg  

"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Looks like some type of id tag that was heat wrapped on to the line at the factory. I say all is good.

mtbr member
    As long as no fluids are leaking or seeping out to the surrounding area then the line is still good.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

the catalan connection
    Iīm sorry, I have not exposed the situation right:
    This is a brand new hose. Shall I give it back to the shop or is that just a manufacturing process normal thing (as speculated in first answer) and I can be safe fitting it??? Maybe someone has seen it before?
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son View Post
    Iīm sorry, I have not exposed the situation right:
    This is a brand new hose. Shall I give it back to the shop or is that just a manufacturing process normal thing (as speculated in first answer) and I can be safe fitting it??? Maybe someone has seen it before?
    I'd definitely send them back since is brand new. I've never seen anything like that before and for the price of them...I'd expect not to.
    Current Ride:

MTBR Member
    My Goodridge hoses have nothing like that.

the catalan connection
    Yep ! Guys, Iīve just talked to the bike shop and they said this marks show up every certain meters on Goodridge hoses.
    Not nice looking for sure, but just a manufacturing process thing afterall. No problem.

Only if I had known this yesterday I could have spent a nice sunday afternoon fitting them.I hate it when I get stuck while wrenching ...whatever...

Thanks a lot for the help anyway !

LightJunction.com
    Good to know. Seems odd, but I guess it's just part of the manufacturing process.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son View Post
    Yep ! Guys, Iīve just talked to the bike shop and they said this marks show up every certain meters on Goodridge hoses.
    Not nice looking for sure, but just a manufacturing process thing afterall. No problem.

Only if I had known this yesterday I could have spent a nice sunday afternoon fitting them.I hate it when I get stuck while wrenching ...whatever...

Thanks a lot for the help anyway !
    Meh. I'd say shoot an email to goodridge to doublecheck with them...maybe they might replace it for you.
    Current Ride:

MTBR Member
    That makes sense, though it still looks kinda whack - makes really good looking housing look not so good.

mtbr member
    i have a 30ft section of tubing and it doesn't have those marks.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFTBUTT View Post
    i have a 30ft section of tubing and it doesn't have those marks.
    Now, my head is boiling.
    Just sent the pics to Goodridge. Get back to you as soon as I get an answer.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    THere is usually a yellow ID tag over that which reads "Goodridge", no issues.

b a n n e d
    Definitely send them back . . . and don't go back to that shop.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Yes, that's most likely just a cosmetic defect, but that's still a defect which must be warrantied (if that matters to you at all).

the catalan connection

Got answer from Goodridge

Just posted the same question to Goodridge in England.
    Got a supersonic answer, and very interesting:

"This is a marked join in the hose.

Due to the manufacturing process of the PTFE inner it can only be produced in 50 to 90 meter lengths. So when the braid is put around the liner they mark a break with a piece of tape so this can be identified and removed during manufacturing.

This is a recognised procedure within the hydraulics industry, so wherever you would purchase your brake hose this would be the same irrelevant to the manufacturer.

You will need to remove this piece of hose and then you will be able to continue
    "

For those who not fully understand the answer, got a clearer one:

"You are correct, there is a break in the liner which is marked with the red tape inside the hose so this needs to be removed as it would leak otherwise."

"Who" should have done" what" before I got one of those fitted on my bike is another story....
    Opinions are welcome!

mtbr member
    I would see of Goodridge will send either you or the shop a replacement hose. And have the shop re-bleed them with the new hose.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFTBUTT View Post
    I would see of Goodridge will send either you or the shop a replacement hose. And have the shop re-bleed them with the new hose.
    Thatīs out of the question, hose is being replaced this afternoon.
    Now, whenever you ask for hose, please, ask for "X meters of brake hose in one full length" instead of the much less specific "X meters of brake hose"

the catalan connection
    Just an update:
    While at the shop this afternon, we decided to cut the hose right on the "marked" spot to see how it looked inside. There it showed the red tape around the braided metal, and the plastic inner section (inner sectionin contact with the fluid) was actually "necked" or closed. So the joint actually shuts the liner closed.
    I would have never been able to get fluid in the whole system.
    Hope you can see it in the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goodridge hose. Is this looking normal?-imag0279.jpg