mtbr member

Goodridge hose lines

Are these worth the investment? How much power does this add to a brake set-up. I am getting ready to currently upgrade brakes from an Avid Juicy 5's, 203/185mm to some Elixir R's, 203/185mm with possible Goodridge lines for my AM/FR bike.

Thanks,

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Very worth it. I up graded my Juicy5's with these. There are several benefits. No more squish-i-ness from the hoses flexing... not a myth. The hose is more flexible and will make corners and extreme bends much better (great if you are running it over suspension links). The steel hose is much more durable than the kevlar wrap that Avid uses. And it is reusable... transfer it on to your next brake set in years to come... just get the right fitting kits.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Hopefully steve UK checks this, by the way, that guy is amazing

has anyone used the smaller, lighter goodridge hose? How does it hold up for non Cross Country Applications?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I added them to my Juicy Carbons and it really felt better, the only thing is I obviously used new fluid and and bled them so was it the lines, fresh ATE Super Blue fluid, or a fresh bleed that make it better, hard to say really... They sure do look cool though

banned
    I've not noted any difference with going to steel hoses. If there was a difference, it was because the brakes needed a bleed anyway.

They claim sometimes, but have backed off, that the brakes will run cooler. Debatable. I run them because they look better. Sometimes the fittings are better, so you might as well get the hoses with it for the prices Goodridge charges. However, I would not look for an improvement because it doesn't exist. I've converted several sets and not felt a difference.

wants a taco
    i noticed a very very small difference in feel when switching lines. Kind of like how to back brake always feels slightly spongier than the front. The lines made that little of a difference with me. If you actually feel both lines when grabbing a handfull of brake you can feel the avid line expand slightly but it hardly translates into anything at the lever and I am EXTREMELY picky and OCD about the feel of my brakes.

they wont make your brakes any more powerfull, just a very slight change in stiffness.

I wouldnt have bought them and wont buy them again unless i need to replace lines anyways. Other than that i think they will be more durable and they do look really good.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Personally I found a marginal improvement in the rear brake, probaly due to the longer hose run. Would definitely agreed with the comments on improved durability - you can tie the Goodridge hose in knot with no sign of kinks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can only compare my old Maggie Louise FR with regular hose to my current Hope M4 with braided hose. The Hopes are very similar feeling front and back right out of the box. I could never achieve this with the Maggies, where even after a good bleed there was a noticeable difference between front and back. What I do like best about the braided hoses however is that they are so flexible. This works much nicer with the hose routing and interaction with my rear suspension than the regular hoses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The lack of kinking and flexibility sound good. When I changed to the newer XTR brakes after installing and riding my front brake line kinked.

It happened b/c the fork compressed a lot (6" travel) and the hose caught on the head of the bolt that hold the stem to handle bars. It went twang and now is kinked making me worry it will break eventually, and a broken break line means broken brakes.

edit:
    BTW my older bike had goodridge lines that came on it, they lasted forever, but nothing made them brake better that I could tell.