mtbr member

Goodridge G-Star, G-Plus & Formula brakes?

Anyone have any feedback on how these compare with OE Formula pads.

I am thinking of trying some with my Biancos. I like the sintered Formula pads which I have been using for a while, but they don't last very long

Only feedback on Goodridge pads I found was Squeaky Wheel's comment on how Goodridge were NOT as good as OEM Hope pads for the Mini Mono set-up

Also is the base plate a little thicker and the material thinner...?

Meh
    I am curious as well about the G star pads on Biancos. I am going to order some more sintered pads and notice Universal cycles has both the Goodridge & Fornula sintered pads. Has anyone else tried the Goodridge pads?

I may order some of each to try out out of curiousity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My experience

I'm running Avid BB7 brakes so I'm not sure how much this will help you. There's definitely not much feedback on the Goodridge pads out there.

I've been running the same BB7 brakes for 7 years now. I've done 2 compounds of Avid (both sintered) and Galfer sintered. I just bought G* (sintered) from my LBS in a pinch after I ran the Galfers down to the backing plate .

Just looking at the pads, they are different than all others I have seen. The pad material looks very dense, smooth, and consistent. All other pads look chunky, rough, and have lots of tiny gaps. And for the BB7 in particular, the Goodridge pads are the only one (besides Avid) that I've found to include the spring retaining clips.

I sanded my rotors and realigned my calipers to make sure everything was spot on. After break in, the pads seemed to provide slightly more modulation than either Avid or Galfer pads. But it doesn't seem like I'm missing any power. So, it doesn't seem like I traded one for the other. Also, so far the pads are very quiet (unlike the Avids and Galfers). The only time they honk is when it's very dusty and I first grab the brakes and wipe the rotor. After that, they stay quiet. It seemed the Avids and Galfers worked the opposite - quiet for the first revolution or two and then lots of honking until release.

I only have about 40 hours on them so far but they seem to be working good for me. I can't offer any comments on wear, other than they don't look like they've worn at all and I think I've only dialed in the pads like 2 clicks since break in. That's at least as good as Avid or Galfer in my experience.