mtbr member

Good rotors for old BB7s?

My backup bike has older (2005) BB7 brakes. While the brakes aren't bad they are extremely loud. I don't ride this bike enough to justify upgrading to hydro's (although it's tempting after putting XT brakes on my new bike!) but I may replace the rotors. While reinstalling the brakes, I noticed that one of the rotors is a bit warped. When I spin the wheel with the brake pads in as close as I can without them touching the rotor, the rotor does rub one of the pads every rotation.

Is there a quieter, inexpensive rotor I can replace the original Avid rotors with? I see dozens of rotors on PricePoint but don't have a clue if any of them are better/quieter than the original Avids.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Off the back...
    Do you get squealing, or is it turkey-gobble? Not much to do about the gobble, but rotors with many small holes instead of slots seem to be quieter to me. The cheap Tektro rotors have been good in my utility bike, and they're really warp resistant.

mtbr member
    Definitely squealing and not gobbling. I'll try some rotors with small holes and see how they work. Thanks!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    I replaced a warped squeal causing avid rotor with an inexpensive alligator rotor & it performs great. High quality rotor for a fraction of the price of the avid.
    -always thinking about the next ride-