mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Good price for XT's or SLX?

Hey there-
    Anyone know where I can find a good deal on either Shimano XT or SLX? These will be for my wife so either will work fine. I'm just tired of her Avid Elixir's constantly needing adjustment/bleeding. Thanks for the help

Merendon Junkie
    A few days ago I ordered a set of slx brakes from blue sky cycling for 173 bucks with shipping. You can also try bike-discount.de for a similar price but a longer shipping time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks Abel...I appreciate the response. I think that is what I will go with for her. I can get XT for $270, but I really doubt she will be able to notice a difference...and I can save almost a hundred bucks.

mtbr member
    Nasbar has XT for $111 each plus rotors. Jenson will match.
    Last edited by limba; 05-14-2013 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Blue sky has SLX M675 brakes for $79.99 a piece oem not retail. They also have SLX icetech centerlock rotors for $19.99. I just bought a set with rotors shipped for a little over $200. Cant wait to try them out tonight.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    just bought slx at blue sky. i got the m675's. didn't know there was an oem or retail. no idea what the difference is.
    Last edited by Hophead1; 05-15-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: addition

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    About the only difference between oem vs retail is the packaging. Mine came taped up in a bag. Went for a first ride with the new brakes last night and all I can say is WOW what a difference from the avid elixir 9 that came on the bike and there probably still not broke all the way in yet. They are awesome one finger braking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Calipers are way stouter than the Elixirs. Can tell even on the stand. I got problem solvers to run the brakes with my SRAM shifters. Looks good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am waiting for a set of problem solvers I ordered yesterday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    deleted

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by jeva View Post
    About the only difference between oem vs retail is the packaging. Mine came taped up in a bag. They are awesome one finger braking.
    I had the exact same experience except I bought a set of XTRs. Arrived in a bag. Meh, whatever. They were brand new, and I got them for the same price I was finding XT elsewhere. Of course the brakes are awesome. I highly recommend Blue Sky.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Price Point is showing XT's on sale at $119 each, my lbs matched, and I am currently awaiting their arrival!

mtbr member
    I wish I would have seen this thread a little sooner. I just received my new XT brakes. I have the SLX (M666) on my full suspension and wanted to upgrade the BB7ís on my single speed. I was happy to go with SLX again but most of the prices I saw were not that much less that the XTís. I didnít see Blue Sky had the M675ís for $80; that is a great deal. I got the XTís for $111; Pricepoint matched the Nashbar price that Ďlimbaí posted above.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pick View Post
    I wish I would have seen this thread a little sooner. I just received my new XT brakes. I have the SLX (M666) on my full suspension and wanted to upgrade the BB7ís on my single speed. I was happy to go with SLX again but most of the prices I saw were not that much less that the XTís. I didnít see Blue Sky had the M675ís for $80; that is a great deal. I got the XTís for $111; Pricepoint matched the Nashbar price that Ďlimbaí posted above.

I don't think you should be unhappy about getting XTs for $111! Great brakes at a great price man, don't second guess yourself.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    I don't think you should be unhappy about getting XTs for $111! Great brakes at a great price man, don't second guess yourself.
    Exactly right. You'll go nuts if you price check stuff you already bought. Best to get on the bike and look ahead. The second you hit the trail all is forgotten.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Exactly right. You'll go nuts if you price check stuff you already bought. Best to get on the bike and look ahead. The second you hit the trail all is forgotten.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I know Iíll love the XTís Ė I was just trying to scratch a little more of my upgraditis It probably wouldnít be so bad if I could get out and ride but Iíve got it torn down for some drivetrain upgrades as well. Probably not the best time of year to upgrade but it has rained so much lately, I couldnít ride anywayÖ

mtbr member
    Are the XT TT86 rotors worth it or needed?

mtbr member
    ^^^
    When I bought my brakes, I looked at three (3) levels of rotors: RT66, RT76 & RT86. The 76 & 86 are 2/3 piece designs where the 66 is not. I believe the major difference is the ability to dissipate heat better. If you donít have trails that require extended durations of heavy braking, then you probably donít need the higher level rotors. This is where the finned/non-finned brake pads come into play as well. It is about removing heat while braking.
    As stated earlier, I love my M666 brakes with the RT66 rotors and would have bought them again had they been significantly cheaper than the XT-level. I ended up getting the RT76 simply because they were only slightly more than the RT66. Iím more of a XC rider so I donít have really long downhills that are required for evaluating the differences. I havenít rode the new RT76ís yet but if the M785/RT76 performance is better than my M666/RT66, I might shoot over the barsÖ

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ice-tech run cooler but I believe you have to change the rotors more often. Since there is aluminum sandwiched inside the braking surface the actual steel rotor is thinner.