aka Willy Vanilly

Idea! Going to hydraulic disc brakes...?

Hi all,
    Debating whether or not to go hydro disc (as opposed to my Avid discs). Wondering what the concrete pros and cons are to hydro v cable actuated (I have an idea but I'm not sure if my ideas are correct, ie: less fade, more modulation, less sensitive to suspension movement (I feel it in the levers when my suspension cycles and I have the brakes on), potentially less maintenance, potentially more headache if anything goes wrong... what else?).
    Also, between the Juicy 7, Mono Mini, and Mag, what is the best brake for the buck? Or are there any other systems I should consider (Marta SL? El Camino?)
    Any other useful suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

My main concerns:
    Worth the price?
    Significantly better (and if so how)?
    Shimano style lever shape (rounded as opposed to flat across the front)
    Any other brakes I should consider (other than Juicy, Mono, Mag? Maybe XT, XTR?)

Thanks!!!
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Authority is dead!

yeah

My main concerns:
    Worth the price?

Yes. They can be had for cheap and will work better than cable actuated.

Significantly better (and if so how)?

Yes, more power and modulation. No cable stretch and re adjusting.

Shimano style lever shape (rounded as opposed to flat across the front)

Eh, not sure what do you mean...

Any other brakes I should consider (other than Juicy, Mono, Mag? Maybe XT, XTR?)

Forget about Hayes if you're looking for modulation. Juicy have problems as they just came out. Look for older XTs (not new shifter/lever combo crap).
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

R.I.P. DogFriend
    One person's humble opinion...

I recently went from hydraulic discs to Avid mechanicals. I have had Magura Louise and Hayes HFX Comp over the last five plus years. I recently went to 203mm Avids and so far Iím pleased beyond expectations with regards to power and modulation. The Hayes and Maguras, although they were admittedly 160mm rotors, donít hold a candle to my current setup. As long as they perform as they do now and all I have to worry about is adjusting the cableÖ. hydros have seen their last days on my bike.

I think that with good levers, cables and housings, and a quality installation, the Avid mechanicals are plenty good (I honestly believe that many bikes equipped with Avid mechanicals donít meet that criteria). To be honest though, the mechanicals do give up a little to the hydros on modulation, but for me it is easily lived with. I just donít require that level of modulation. If you require more power, you can get larger rotors. But if youíve got the cash and you just gotta have hydros, knock yourself out.

aka Willy Vanilly
    Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. One reason for the switch was the brake feedback from the suspension. Maybe I didn't have the housing length exactly right but I had it to where I liked the feel at the lever.

Anyway, I went with Juicy's. So far so good. Had to bleed them since I cut the lines but the syringes made things pretty easy. A lot more modulation. Still working up to the full power I think though (or hope... =P) Anyway, thanks again!
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Avid Juicy

I went from v-brakes on my HT to Avid mechanicals on my new FS last year. Wow, what a big difference with disc brakes and Avid mechanicals are awesome. As much as I think the mechanicals are fine for most people, I just wanted a little more performance and better lever feel. So just a month ago went with Avid Juicys.

In fact tonight just did a bleed of the system after cutting the hoses shorter. Like with the mechanicals, the Juicy's are really easy to work on and maintain. They use the same CPS alignment bolts to easily center the caliper over the rotors, versus having to mess with shims and washers. The power and snappy lever feel can't be beat. On the trail, it's like "whoah! BABY" tons of power that I had to get used to feathering the levers. Even after long speedy descents, the brakes come on strong and don't fade. Great brakes and my recommendation.

My other close choices were the Magura Marta SL's and if you can wait, the new Hayes El Camino look killer!
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    One person's humble opinion...

I recently went from hydraulic discs to Avid mechanicals. I have had Magura Louise and Hayes HFX Comp over the last five plus years. I recently went to 203mm Avids and so far Im pleased beyond expectations with regards to power and modulation. The Hayes and Maguras, although they were admittedly 160mm rotors, dont hold a candle to my current setup. As long as they perform as they do now and all I have to worry about is adjusting the cable. hydros have seen their last days on my bike.

I think that with good levers, cables and housings, and a quality installation, the Avid mechanicals are plenty good (I honestly believe that many bikes equipped with Avid mechanicals dont meet that criteria). To be honest though, the mechanicals do give up a little to the hydros on modulation, but for me it is easily lived with. I just dont require that level of modulation. If you require more power, you can get larger rotors. But if youve got the cash and you just gotta have hydros, knock yourself out.
    Ditto, Jeff. Unfortunately alot of mech discs are set up with relatively poor quality levers and cables because many bikers (and manufacturers!) view them as "entry-level" discs. There is a HUGE difference between this junk and what mechanical discs are capable of. I think alot of MTB'ers would have a different view of hydro's if most of what they saw were the sad results of poor set-ups with leaky air-bubble filled lines. Mechanical discs are my current set up and I have no desire to go hydro. Modulation is quite good, I have power to endo myself under most any conditions, and I don't have to worry about bleeding air from brake lines or leaking fluid after a crash.

Gravity Rides Everything
    hydro brakes are great... trading gritty stretchy cables for smooth modulated hydraulic brakes is such an improvement. Check out the hope mono M4 too...