mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Getting rid of the Hayes

I bought a Niner built-up from my LBS. It has the Hayes Stroker Trail brake set up and I am NOT satisfied!!! So I been searching and some thoughts were maybe the Magura Louise, maybe some Avid's, Shimano XT's?????? I do alot of 6/9 hour races, so what ya'll think?
    Last edited by DJohnson; 02-24-2012 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the best thing about Hayes brakes, is that Hayes rotors work great with BB7s. End of problems for me...

Life Is Short
    shimano XT are A++++
    I have them on my high-end bike, works like a champ.

I also have Stroker Trails on a couple Stinkys and the only thing that it lacks is power but I am 170lbs, do you weigh more than me?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey fatcat sorry but I weigh bout 155. On a goo day!!! Are the BB7's mechanical?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by DJohnson View Post
    Hey fatcat sorry but I weigh bout 155. On a goo day!!! Are the BB7's mechanical?
    yup
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Alright then, well whats up with the BB7"s? Please let me in on the secret????

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by DJohnson View Post
    Alright then, well whats up with the BB7"s? Please let me in on the secret????
    far from a secret.. about the best disc caliper out there when you add it all up.

some people like hydros and say hydro's have better "modulation" but actually I found the BB7's do as there is a wider span or stopping power with them. Hydro's I find lock up WAY to easy (probably cause I have a habit of getting the Panic death grip ) I find with the BB7's that you can go anywhere from a light touch drag to a full out death grip and anywhere in between with them. But can still lock them up when needed. Plus they are about the easiest system to setup and maintain. no messing with fluids, seals bla bla bla

and if you do an over the bar's crash and take out your brake lever it's like 10 bucks to replace it, not hundreds for a whole new brake system. and you can still ride out using the brake, just yank on the cable
    (for all the meat heads who will get all huffy over the above comments... go look up sarcasm in your dictionary before leaving bad rep!! )
    but really they are just a really good disc brake at about the best price-performance bracket out there.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another vote for Shimano XT's. They are positively astounding brakes for the money. There are lighter brakes out there, but no brake I've ever used has come even close to the amount of sheer control the Shimanos offer.