yep

Getting new brakes. Have a few questions.

Finally getting sick of my Avids, and about to get some XTs. At this point I'm just going to keep the discs, so from what I understand I can still use those same mounts for Shimanos? No need to worry about ordering the brakes with the correct size adapter right?

And from what I can gather, the M785 XT come pre-bled? I have a Large 2013 Specialized Enduro. How do I know what size hoses I need? 850 or 1000mm for the front? And 1400 or 1700 for the rear?

And lastly, my X7 shifters and Avid brakes mount on the same ring. What do I need to buy to be able to do the same thing with the new levers?

Thanks, I appreciate the help

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yboc View Post
    Finally getting sick of my Avids, and about to get some XTs. At this point I'm just going to keep the discs, so from what I understand I can still use those same mounts for Shimanos? No need to worry about ordering the brakes with the correct size adapter right?

And from what I can gather, the M785 XT come pre-bled? I have a Large 2013 Specialized Enduro. How do I know what size hoses I need? 850 or 1000mm for the front? And 1400 or 1700 for the rear?

And lastly, my X7 shifters and Avid brakes mount on the same ring. What do I need to buy to be able to do the same thing with the new levers?

Thanks, I appreciate the help
    Yep, you can use the same mount adapters, although you might still have to use the spherical washers to get the correct height. When you install the calipers just check the alignment between pads and rotors.

The brakes come pre bled yes. Measure you're current hydro lines to get an idea of what you need. However, it's best to trim the lines. Shimano includes an olive and insert and line cutting vise with each brake, and you can do this without bleeding.
    Google "shimano brake line trim no bleed".

You can't mix SRAM and Shimano clamp systems (Matchmaker x and i-spec). You'll have to have a separate clamp for the brakes and shifter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just measure your current hose length, that simple. Adapter should be standard. As for rotor, u better use shimano rotor at least at the front, quiet and powerful.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanik View Post
    although you might still have to use the spherical washers to get the correct height
    Not necessary, Shimano doesn't use or need the Avid CPS type washers between the caliper and post mounts or between the caliper and adapter, if you use those washers underneath the brake caliper they will pack it out too much and the pads will overhang the outer edge of the rotor.

You can see the consequences of using these washers on the underside of the caliper in the following thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/shimano-xt-brake-pad-wear-issue-875855.html

The only time these types of washers are used with Shimano brakes is between the bolt head and the caliper when using a 180mm PM to PM adapter as can be seen in the following document.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SM/SI_8170A/SI-8170A-001-ENG_v1_m56577569830667774.PDF

Shimano uses those washers in that situation so the bolt head can properly tighten down on the caliper.

Name:  Capture6.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  13.0 KBName:  Capture5.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  12.7 KB

You can't mix SRAM and Shimano clamp systems (Matchmaker x and i-spec). You'll have to have a separate clamp for the brakes and shifter.
    You can with the older XT model brake.

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/mismatch_adapters

* These adapters won't work with the new BL-M785 levers which are I-Spec B Type, the BL-M785 levers comes with the new BR-M785 brakes, this adapter will work with the older BL-M780 levers which have the older I-Spec version, the BL-M780 levers comes with the older BR-M780 brake model.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you go with Shimano brakes and have SRAM shifters, you can use the Problem Solvers Mismatch adapters to mount them together. The brakes must be Shimano 2012 or earlier models. The newer "B" models don't work.