mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Generic Disc Brake Pads

Is there a general consensus, on the minimum grade for brake pads. I mean some of these pads cost more than a pair of brake pads for my truck. I have seen pads for the xt calipers go anywhere from $11 / ebay to $40 a pair. At this rate, they would end up double what the brake pads for my truck run. Any thoughts. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

no trees are safe
    Depends on the model of your brakes. Cheapest pads I've ever seen were the original shimano and they cost about 6EU. More expensive brakes tend to have more expensive pads...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the Deore XT brakes. They are getting low. After I bleed them for an air pocket, it looks like I need to be getting new pads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    DiscoBrakes.Com :: Shop :: Disc Pads

discobrakes has very good deals, especially if you buy 4 pairs at once, $6 per.
    I use the semi metalic compound that is soft enough for good performance.

mtbr member
    +1 on Disco brakes. 2 of my friends have been using them for 5+ years and I have been using them for a couple as well. The pads are much cheaper than stock and work great. I just recently put on Sintered pads to try out and so far they are great.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Would it matter a lot if I go with the pads with the fins that the xt have. My front brake is a 2 piece, and the new pad may just fit in. But the back doesn't have the fins.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I ended up getting the Disco Disc pads the M985 ones. Hopefully it will fit the fin insert I have for the front brake. If not, I guess I will go without the fins. It is hard to beat the price. $24 for 4 pair vs ~ $35 for 1 pair.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just bought some generic formula rx sintered pads, they work good and are not nearly as noisy

the original organic pads.

Time will tell, if they hold up.

mtbr member
    Another vote for DiscoBrakes. I've purchased pads for two different sets of brakes and have been very happy with the price and performance. I bought them from 'bikefridge' off of eBay.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Got them yesterday. Look great, but of the 4 pair, two of them were for different brakes. So, I'll install the two good pair and I guess wait for the exchange of the two wrong pair. Even if I get the two pair, it save me a ton over what I thought I would be paying.

I did it all for the kudo
    I've used Disco brake pads on 4 different sets of brakes and have had mixed reviews. I actually think they are a good value for the price and are a very quiet pad. The initial bite seems to be quite good but on sustained downhill sections is where they were lacking. So depending on the application the performance of these pads could vary, and I think that's why they get mixed reviews.
    Brakes I've tried them with and my verdict.
    Shimano M775 = worked great would use them again, used semi-metallic

Elixer R = worked ok/good, seemed to get warm/hot very quickly so I changed braking style to accomodate. Would use again though because they were more quiet than OEM pads. Used Semi-metallic

Hope Mono Mini = Not really fair to give a review with these brakes. Worked ok for flatish XC, honked like crazy on downhills. I blame this mainly on Hope though, they definitely missed the boat on this one.

Hope M4 = Worked ok on these. Seemed to have good initial bite but was lacking in overall power, they'd get the job done though. Used Kevlar blend, would've like to have tried Semi metallic went back to Hope pads.

So as you can see I definitely have had mixed reviews with these. But to be fair each brake is designed differently so each pad will respond differently to the given application. So I personally feel that any aftermarket pad will respond in the same fashion due to the fact that they do not change compounds for different brake manufacturers. Ultimately I feel that OEM pads are probably going to be the best bet for power, noise on the other hand well that a whole other issue.
    Hope this helps someone trying to decide whether to buys these or not.

BTW, These were used on the Colorado front range.
    Last edited by Short Bus; 10-02-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Because I wanted too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Disco brake pads ....semi-metallic.
    I like that compound but don't love it. I have to clean the rotors frequently between rides and it does produce some residue. I dont like them for wet at all, but if it stays dry they work and at 6 bucks use them for a month then replace. I have some jagwire organics on my martas that have worked well and better with moisture

i