mtbr member
    Jan 2005

generic cup seals?

Hey guys, thought somebody may have looked into this on this site...the cup seals in my juicy brakes i guess are toast since the lever won't retract quickly any more, even after a full rebleed (done correctly)...i'm trying to save some money since the avid kit will cost like $15 when i only need the one cup seal (the o-ring i can source elsewhere)

anybody know where to find these little puppies, what they are typically called and how to measure them properly? here's a pick of the seal removed from the master cylinder on a juicy 5

photo 100_0540_zps18ecba0a.jpg
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Plays with tools
    Looked through McMaster Carr? They've got A LOT of everything. Personally I think $15 is a fair price for a rebuild kit. By the time you figure shipping on a $2-5 seal it's pretty close. If you get something that's a little different you're better off having just got the OE parts that are not that expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yeah i checked them, they didn't have anything this small...i dont need the other parts in the rebuild kit, just the cup seal why buy everything else...i've also got three sets of avids so the math adds up
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You don't need everything now. If you are going to rebuild something, you generally want to go all the way, so you don't have to break it open when the next part fails (which seeing as one thing has gone, something else probably isn't far off). A high-end hobbyist shop that deals in RC may have something, but I would think that if McMaster Carr doesn't have it, you're probably out of luck.

If you are looking to avoid spending any amount of money, that's about your only option, staying local. Shipping will cost you at least a couple of bucks, regardless of how much you buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    man i was just trying to source the cup seals alone...thanks anyway for chiming in

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Avid do sell the push rod seals separately but only in bulk packs of 20 we have them at work

Avid part no.11.5015.062.020

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    ahh, thanks disturbia, this is the help i was after not a lecture about financial matters...hopefully Avid still offers the juicy seals but maybe the seals are the same as the new generation of avid hydraulics (e.g. elixer)

Quote Originally Posted by disturbedrider View Post
    Avid do sell the push rod seals separately but only in bulk packs of 20 we have them at work

Avid part no.11.5015.062.020