Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    94

    gatorbrake mechanical

    these brake are selling *very cheaply at pricepoint atm:

    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=115%20ALIMD6

    are they any good?

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,139
    I think "GatorBrake" is a PricePoint house brand. The calipers look like the Tektro. Marginal at best.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    416

    go to cambriabike.com

    They have 01 avids for 39.00. These look like bb7's. Sounds like a bargain for quality brakes to me.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    94
    thanks guys

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,139
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    They have 01 avids for 39.00. These look like bb7's. Sounds like a bargain for quality brakes to me.
    They are using the wrong picture for '01 Avids. Shows the '02 and newer version 2 caliper that was later renamed BB7.

    The description is for the first version with the 165mm rotor rather than the 160 used for V.2.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    They are using the wrong picture for '01 Avids. Shows the '02 and newer version 2 caliper that was later renamed BB7.

    The description is for the first version with the 165mm rotor rather than the 160 used for V.2.
    So, then are the '01 Avids essentially the BB7s in that they have caliper adjustements on both sides? Are they a better buy at $40 vs. the '07 BB7s at $59?

    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,139
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    So, then are the '01 Avids essentially the BB7s in that they have caliper adjustements on both sides? Are they a better buy at $40 vs. the '07 BB7s at $59?

    Thanks.
    The first Avid disc brake (BBDB) has all of the adjustably of the BB7 and uses the same pads. They used magnets for pad retention/retraction rather than the spring clips. The spring clips do work in them. I still prefer the magnets. They also look different.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Another consideration of these less than major brake manufacturers and house brands is that when you need pads, can you get them?

    Sure, you can get them for a while, but look at all the people riding Hayes, Formula, Hope, etc for years after the purchase. It's based on their ability to get pads.

    I see they have hydraulics as well.

  9. #9
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,763
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I think "GatorBrake" is a PricePoint house brand. The calipers look like the Tektro. Marginal at best.
    GatorBrake is not pricepoint's brand... at least definitely not the hydro ones...

    http://www.gatorbrake.com/

    In Germany, there have been several magazine reviews of them for some time... great performance, but heavy...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    218

    BBDB better than BB5s?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The first Avid disc brake (BBDB) has all of the adjustably of the BB7 and uses the same pads. They used magnets for pad retention/retraction rather than the spring clips. The spring clips do work in them. I still prefer the magnets. They also look different.
    For $40 for either the BB5s or the BBDBs, sounds like the BBDBs are a much better brake. What do you think? With the 20% cambria coupon, the brakes are just $32 each.

  11. #11
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,139
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    For $40 for either the BB5s or the BBDBs, sounds like the BBDBs are a much better brake. What do you think? With the 20% cambria coupon, the brakes are just $32 each.
    I will not touch the BB5, no matter the price.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,139
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    GatorBrake is not pricepoint's brand... at least definitely not the hydro ones...

    http://www.gatorbrake.com/

    In Germany, there have been several magazine reviews of them for some time... great performance, but heavy...
    Thanks. PricePoint seems to be the only US outlet (online at least) for the brand.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,763
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Thanks. PricePoint seems to be the only US outlet (online at least) for the brand.

    No problem

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •