mtbr member
    Mar 2006

gatorbrake mechanical

these brake are selling *very cheaply at pricepoint atm:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=115%20ALIMD6

are they any good?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I think "GatorBrake" is a PricePoint house brand. The calipers look like the Tektro. Marginal at best.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

go to cambriabike.com

They have 01 avids for 39.00. These look like bb7's. Sounds like a bargain for quality brakes to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by micky
    They have 01 avids for 39.00. These look like bb7's. Sounds like a bargain for quality brakes to me.
    They are using the wrong picture for '01 Avids. Shows the '02 and newer version 2 caliper that was later renamed BB7.

The description is for the first version with the 165mm rotor rather than the 160 used for V.2.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    They are using the wrong picture for '01 Avids. Shows the '02 and newer version 2 caliper that was later renamed BB7.

The description is for the first version with the 165mm rotor rather than the 160 used for V.2.
    So, then are the '01 Avids essentially the BB7s in that they have caliper adjustements on both sides? Are they a better buy at $40 vs. the '07 BB7s at $59?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    So, then are the '01 Avids essentially the BB7s in that they have caliper adjustements on both sides? Are they a better buy at $40 vs. the '07 BB7s at $59?

Thanks.
    The first Avid disc brake (BBDB) has all of the adjustably of the BB7 and uses the same pads. They used magnets for pad retention/retraction rather than the spring clips. The spring clips do work in them. I still prefer the magnets. They also look different.
    mtbtires.com

banned
    Another consideration of these less than major brake manufacturers and house brands is that when you need pads, can you get them?

Sure, you can get them for a while, but look at all the people riding Hayes, Formula, Hope, etc for years after the purchase. It's based on their ability to get pads.

I see they have hydraulics as well.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I think "GatorBrake" is a PricePoint house brand. The calipers look like the Tektro. Marginal at best.
    GatorBrake is not pricepoint's brand... at least definitely not the hydro ones...

http://www.gatorbrake.com/

In Germany, there have been several magazine reviews of them for some time... great performance, but heavy...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

BBDB better than BB5s?

The first Avid disc brake (BBDB) has all of the adjustably of the BB7 and uses the same pads. They used magnets for pad retention/retraction rather than the spring clips. The spring clips do work in them. I still prefer the magnets. They also look different.
    For $40 for either the BB5s or the BBDBs, sounds like the BBDBs are a much better brake. What do you think? With the 20% cambria coupon, the brakes are just $32 each.

Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    For $40 for either the BB5s or the BBDBs, sounds like the BBDBs are a much better brake. What do you think? With the 20% cambria coupon, the brakes are just $32 each.
    I will not touch the BB5, no matter the price.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    GatorBrake is not pricepoint's brand... at least definitely not the hydro ones...

http://www.gatorbrake.com/

In Germany, there have been several magazine reviews of them for some time... great performance, but heavy...
    Thanks. PricePoint seems to be the only US outlet (online at least) for the brand.
    mtbtires.com

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Thanks. PricePoint seems to be the only US outlet (online at least) for the brand.

No problem