mtbr member

G2 vs G3 cleansweep rotors with Ultimates?

Searched but didn't find an answer to this question, my apologies if its been covered before. Do G3 clean sweep rotors work fine with Ultimates? The literature I've seen suggests the G3 are intended for Elixir, and G2 are intended for Ultimates, but they look identical. Anyone running G3s + Ultimates with no issues? Thanks

Meh.
    They are not the same. But they will work fine. The G3 is lighter and may work even better.

mtbr member
    I run G3ís with my Juicy Ultimateís, no problems at all. Some claim the G3 are quieter but I have not noticed any difference over the G2s(Iíve never had the dreaded Advid issues others have). They are slightly lighter but unless you are really counting the grams it is not that much (4 g per rotor if my memory serves me). My wife runs the G2s with Elixirs, no problems there either.

mtbr member
    fantastic, thanks guys

Rub it............
    Don't worry too much about the rotors. The Juicy lineup is going bye-bye next year. Nothing but Elixirs.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Don't worry too much about the rotors. The Juicy lineup is going bye-bye next year. Nothing but Elixirs.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Long live Elixirs! Goodbye Juicy's!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Bye bye Avid. I bought three of your brakesets(J5, JU, Elixir CR) and could never get rid of the noise, lack of power and frequent bleedings. Avid should copy my Magura Marta SL...which is the complete opposite!

These rotors are the BEST and lightest Avid rotor ever made(Avid Clean Sweep "Serpentine" wavy rotors - 100g @160mm). eBay has them on closeout, periodically. They perform way better than the G2/G3 by a long shot. Magura sued Avid of design infringement, so they are no longer made:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zachariah; 05-07-2009 at 04:30 PM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Meh.
    I've never had noise or lack of power. And I bleed once a year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yup installed right, and you should have no problems with Avid ELIXIR'S

mtbr member
    thanks again for the rotor input.

For the record, I've never experienced all of the famed issues with my Ultimates, they have delivered for me. Case in point, they survived a recent 8 hr solo event in absolutely horrendous conditions (if you follow the NorCal forum you'll know the event). Pads burned completely through and down to metal on metal front and back, and almost thru the backing completely in the front (paper thin)... pistons, calipers are fine. I hear many other folks didnt fare as 'well'.

v5/2011 Blindside

New question here. Any power differences?

Other than the weight and noise issues, are there any differences at all in stopping power among G3 vs G2 vs "original" ("G1"?) Clean Sweep rotors? (I'm excluding Roundagon/Polygonn and Serpentine here.)

Since I just bent my G2/203mm (181g) beyond repair, I temporarily installed my old "G1"/203mm (232g) with my '08 Juicy 7 (front) today. For some reason, it felt like it had a tad less power (though I couldn't be 100%-sure); hence my asking here. (True/False?) With less drilled out (a bit heavier), old "G1" seems at least tougher than G2 and G3. (True/False?)

Just trying to decide whether to keep my old "G1" on there permanently, or pick up another G2 (or even G3).

Thanks for your feedback in advance,
    - PiroChu

11 is one louder than 10

G3 and organics

Went to the G3 and Organics this year after a full Juicy Ultimate rebuild. Late last year I got the turkey warble on the rear, but this was after almost 2 seasons on them. I've always had a lower volume squeek with mine. I had been running G2's with organics.

First couple of rides with the G3 and organics and my brakes were as quiet as they have ever been. Now a few rides in the lower volume squeek is back (particularly when I am feathering the brakes) but overall the G3's have the same power.

As for the turkey warble... not sure why it developed and why a rebuild got rid of it. Maybe a sticky piston?

The only other thing I have wondered is if the squeek is there because i am too big to run 160 rotors. Due to an injury I have gained another 15 lbs with inactivity and I'm currently about 225 lbs with gear.

I've kicked around trying 180 rotors, but hopefully i can lose 20 lbs...
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Other than the weight and noise issues, are there any differences at all in stopping power among G3 vs G2 vs "original" ("G1"?) Clean Sweep rotors? (I'm excluding Roundagon/Polygonn and Serpentine here.)

Since I just bent my G2/203mm (181g) beyond repair, I temporarily installed my old "G1"/203mm (232g) with my '08 Juicy 7 (front) today. For some reason, it felt like it had a tad less power (though I couldn't be 100%-sure); hence my asking here. (True/False?) With less drilled out (a bit heavier), old "G1" seems at least tougher than G2 and G3. (True/False?)

Just trying to decide whether to keep my old "G1" on there permanently, or pick up another G2 (or even G3).

Thanks for your feedback in advance,
    - PiroChu
    Could be that the pads need to bed in. Could be that a different pad compound is bedded into the rotors already.

Went to the G3 and Organics this year after a full Juicy Ultimate rebuild. Late last year I got the turkey warble on the rear, but this was after almost 2 seasons on them. I've always had a lower volume squeek with mine. I had been running G2's with organics.

First couple of rides with the G3 and organics and my brakes were as quiet as they have ever been. Now a few rides in the lower volume squeek is back (particularly when I am feathering the brakes) but overall the G3's have the same power.

As for the turkey warble... not sure why it developed and why a rebuild got rid of it. Maybe a sticky piston?

The only other thing I have wondered is if the squeek is there because i am too big to run 160 rotors. Due to an injury I have gained another 15 lbs with inactivity and I'm currently about 225 lbs with gear.

I've kicked around trying 180 rotors, but hopefully i can lose 20 lbs...
    The gobble going away certain could be because you remedied a sticky piston. Or you might have aligned the caliper better when you reinstalled it.

As for the noise... what pad compounds have you tried?

11 is one louder than 10
    Pad wise, - both avid compounds. organic and the semi-metallic. It's just a low volume squeel front and rear when on the brakes a light to moderate amount.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Meh.
    Are the pads glazed? Try giving them a good scrub in a figure 8 pattern across some sand paper.