mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Full Metal Jacket on Hayes mech

Has anybody tried avid's full metal jacket on hayes hmx-1? I don't see any reason why it should not work as it does with Avid mechs, but I just want to make sure. If you got it to work, did you have anything special to do?
    Thanks

Formerly RyanC
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jplev22
    Has anybody tried avid's full metal jacket on hayes hmx-1? I don't see any reason why it should not work as it does with Avid mechs, but I just want to make sure. If you got it to work, did you have anything special to do?
    Thanks
    FMJ's work pretty much with any cable-actuated brake, disc or canti. The whole job is sort of a "custom" thing. You replace whatever straight lengths of housing with the FMJ's. I used them briefly with my Hayes mechs before I sold them. I use them with Avid discs now. They aren't a huge performance enhancer in terms of braking power, but they give your brakes a much lighter and firmer feel. Consequently, I run my Avid levers at max leverage and still manage to get a pretty firm feel at the lever. I also removed the return springs from the levers and took the spring adjustment screws out of the calipers, so the brakes are effortless to actuate. They actually feel lighter and more powerful than my previous hydraulic brakes did. Great for longer rides where my hands would sometimes fatigue from heavy braking. Definitely recommend.
    -Ryan

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How did you find they managed mud? Did some get into the cassing. Thats what caused me problems in the past.
    Thanks

Formerly RyanC
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jplev22
    How did you find they managed mud? Did some get into the cassing. Thats what caused me problems in the past.
    Thanks
    I don't ride much in the mud, but the times I've ridden in muddy condition haven't affected braking performance at all. If you ride in the rain and mud, I'd say wrap a little electrical tape around the connection points between the FMJ tubes and cable housing. The cool thing about the FMJ's is that even if mud or grit got in the casing, it wouldn't do much because the cable isn't in contact with the tubes when under tension. The casing also doesn't tightly hug the cable, so I wouldn't expect it to really cause much friction. The setup is still pretty well sealed. I use the hydro line guides on my frame to run a nice long section of FMJ along the top tube and run full-length housing. Really nice setup, I'd also recommend using teflon impregnated cables without lube so dirt doesn't adhear to the cables.
    -Ryan

mtbr member
    I made up a set when I had Hayes on my bike. Just used some stuff I had lying about.

They help a little as Anti-grav said, but the problem with Hayes calipers is they are not as rigid as Avid or Shimano, so even though you take the flex outta the housing, the flex doesn't leave the caliper. So they still feel soft or 'squishy'. It's not the cable, it's the darn caliper.

If you wish to, give them a try. They certainly cannot hurt your braking performance, but they arent going to solve the caliper flex. Good luck.

P.S. Running it down the fork leg is an option with Hayes (HMX-1 at least) that is not so easy with Avid or Shimano. The Hayes cable stop is close to square with the suspension fork's seal, so you can stick a piece of nice straight casing there too without too much trouble. The Avid/Shimano have a different stop angle, so you can't do this trick with them. I'm not sure how the adjustable stop works when you try this, but it might be ok too.