mtbr member

Full Metal Jacket Cables

Even though I know this wont stop all of the "buy hydraulic" posts. I'll start by saying, Mechs work fine for what I do. I don't want to start another hydro vs mechanical argument there are plenty of those threads already.

I was bored today and my legs were beat from yesterday so I decided to drive down to REI and see if I could find a good deal on some winder riding clothes.

Since it was clearance weekend everything was pretty much picked through. I went over to look at some hardware and noticed the clearance shelf so had a look through it. Found a set of Avid Full Metal Jacket cables for $10, since I'm still using the cables that came with my bike I figured "what the hell, cant lose at that price."

Yes it specifically says "do not bend the tubes" on the instructions but what does the manufacturer know anyway? Just fill the tube with something to keep if from collapsing, heat it up a little with a lighter or candle flame and bend away. Luckily I had some electrical wire almost identical to the inside diameter. I know getting too extreme with the angles can cause binding so I was pretty light with them but I think I got it looking pretty good.

For the fork I didn't like the idea of up to 140mm of tube rocketing toward my face on landings so I just ran that with the extra flexible tubing in the kit. Nothing different there aesthetically really, just some thicker housing and functionally rigid cable.

I wrapped some electrical tape around the tube to get it to fit snugly in the guide, then I took some heat shrink tubing for electrical wire and covered the electrical tape so it didn't end up wearing out and turning into a mess later.

Anyway, hell of a deal at $10!
    Last edited by Tim-H; 09-06-2010 at 06:16 PM.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I got three year's use out of mine. They were still smooth when I finally traded-up to hydros.

Good buy!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

650b me
    Nice work, Tim-H! I bought the full metal jacket kit a couple years ago and couldn't figure out how to make the metal tubes work, so I just used the flexible housing. I'm impressed! Maybe I'll try something similar.