mtbr member
    Mar 2004

FSR & 8 inch rotors??!!!

Hi all,
    This is my first time here so I apologize if this is a repost. I am building up an 03 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR M4 frame (large). I'll be running an 04 Marzocchi EXR Pro up front. I would like to run Avid's mechanical disc's with the 8 inch rotors F&R. Here's my question...will the 8 inch rotor on the rear put too much stress on the frame and/or fork? Am i risking a crack or fatigue on my FSR frame by running this large rotor? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mangoM4; 03-19-2004 at 11:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm not recommending it, but..

I put 8-inch Avid Mechs on my '02 FSR last year, and so far so good. I can't say whether you will have the same experience, but nothing has been damaged even after repeated thrashing.

The decision to go 200mm was based on my riding at the time, which was lift assisted downhills, and the previous brakes' inadequate fade resistance (160mm Shimano 525 Hydros). I worried about the rotor clearance at the rear and the stress on the chainstays, but I did two month's more downhill riding with the big Avids last year, with no problems at all, but with a huge grin from the available power and fade resistance.

I have since bought a real DH bike, and returned the FSR to regular trail duty. If I were choosing brakes for the steep and long trails I ride now (not lift assisted), I would choose the 180mm Avids, because:

1) The rotors are lighter than the 200mm discs, and

2) The Avid 160's are just adequate for those same trails on my hardtail, but I'd want more for the higher speeds I reach on the FSR.

If your trails aren't really long, though, 160's may be enough. Mine howl when really hot and then they fade some, but they perform really well under 99% of my conditions. If your not worried about the weight, go with the 180's. The 200's are probably overkill.

Here's a pic of my '02 taking a break last autumn..
    Attached Images Attached Images