mtbr member

Frozen Shimano LX hydraulic disc brakes

I have 2007 Shimano LX hydraulic disc brakes that work great most of the time. Unfortuately when the temperature dips below freezing they close up when I squeeze the brakes and then don't fully release when I let go of the lever. Then even when the temperature warms up agin the calipers still are rubbing against the disc. They react the same as when the brakes get closed when the wheel is out of the fork. Is this a usual phenomenon and if so is there a way to fix it so I don't have to readjust them everytime the temperature goes down?

Thanks for the help.
    Mark
    It's always downhill....It just depends which direction you're going

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the cold temp thing seems unusual...

but you shouldn't pull the levers with the rotors out, that's why the brakes include spacers...if it happens, use a tire lever to push the pistons back (or a clean screwsdriver with the brake pads on)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have used Shimano LX, XTR's in temps down to -35 C. without problems.

Perhaps you need to clean the pistons, remove wheel and pads, pump pistons out becareful not to go too far, apply chain lube to OD of piston, wipe clean with a Q-tip, push back in with a screwdriver. Repeat a couple of times.

The only other thing is somehow you got some water in the caliper system, but that doesn't seem very likely.

mtbr member
    Good hint,
    I think it is safer to lube the pistons with mineral oil (or Dot on dot based brakes!), because some chain lubes could screw up the seals...

greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to get some mineral oil and give it a try. I'm wondering if I do have water in the system somewhere because the same thing happened last winter, but it was the first time I had hydraulic brakes so I just thought that it was natural. Then I started talking to other people with disc brakes that don't have the same problems. Thanks agian for the help/ideas.
    It's always downhill....It just depends which direction you're going