mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Front EBay BB7 Bottoming out

So I bought a super cheap ebay front, back and rotor BB7 combo of ebay. After arrival I noticed some weird things and it turns out the ebay seller (fibica) is well known for sending fake rotors and aftermarket (decent quality) pads with the brakes. The calipers themselves are real.

I decided to use the Tektro Novela rotors that are already on my bike with the pads. The back is working fine.

The front rotor seems to be bottoming out in the brake. I *think* its on the caliper spring but I can't tell. The Tektro's have a wavy edge but I think its all less than 160mm. I've tried both the bracket that came with the brakes and the original.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    TMANIAC

human dehumidifier
    You said you bought a rotor with the brakes, hold it next to the rotor on the wheel to check if it is the same size as the one on the wheel.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Use the rotors that came with them from ebay. I've got a set from the same seller and fake or not, the rotors are fine (at least mine are). They stop the bike even under hard braking, have not squealed a bit (except during break in), and the rotors were made for the BB7s.

however, what do you mean by bottoming out? the rotor hits the caliper? the pads don't hit the rotor? If the rotor is hitting the caliper housing (at the top edge of the rotor), try to add another washer or so the stack below the caliper when mounting. Should solve your problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ehwik View Post
    Use the rotors that came with them from ebay. I've got a set from the same seller and fake or not, the rotors are fine (at least mine are). They stop the bike even under hard braking, have not squealed a bit (except during break in), and the rotors were made for the BB7s.

however, what do you mean by bottoming out? the rotor hits the caliper? the pads don't hit the rotor? If the rotor is hitting the caliper housing (at the top edge of the rotor), try to add another washer or so the stack below the caliper when mounting. Should solve your problem.
    The rotors are hitting the housing. It is slight, they would probably slide through if I pushed. I think its hitting the middle of the spring as mentioned.

I'll check the diameter of the rotors vs. each other and switch if the fake rotors are smaller. Else I will shim as suggested.

human dehumidifier
    Make sure you've got all the Avid CPS parts in there too
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Front EBay BB7 Bottoming out

edit: Whoops, that's exactly what ewhick said, nm

Maybe try a single, 2mm washer on the lower caliper bolt to lift the caliper a little further off the rotor. It could be a rotor that is larger in diameter, but could just as well be slight differences in the post mount or IS mounts on your frame/fork. Or if you've had your brakes serviced several times, the shop might plane your post mount each time, shaving a tad off each time, combined with a rotor that is slightly larger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Turns out I am a moron and this wasn't the issue at all.

The lower bracket mounting bolt is too long, so it is in the large holes on the rotor, so the wheel is bouncing back when it hits. Going to put the old screws back and all should be fine!

Thanks for replies.

TManiac