Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005

Front Disc, Rear V???

Need some advice. Do you see any issues with putting a disc brake on the front and using a regular V brake on the rear?

Rationale: The majority of stopping power is with the front brake. If you apply too much brake pressure on the rear brake with V brakes, you wind up skidding and losing braking traction. Why would you want to skid harder with using a disc on the rear?

Also, if I do go with a disc brake on the rear, what do I do with the brake bosses?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

mtbr member
    If your frame is rear disk brake capable, why not use them? If your frame is aluminum, chances are the brake bosses will thread out and then you can insert rubber/plastic plugs or leave as is. If steel you can hacksaw them off or leave them alone. You'll probably get more modulation from your disks which will control your skidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by murocflyer
    Need some advice. Do you see any issues with putting a disc brake on the front and using a regular V brake on the rear?

Rationale: The majority of stopping power is with the front brake. If you apply too much brake pressure on the rear brake with V brakes, you wind up skidding and losing braking traction. Why would you want to skid harder with using a disc on the rear?

Also, if I do go with a disc brake on the rear, what do I do with the brake bosses?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    My bike is an 01 Pisgah (TI). It is not set up for rear disc brakes, so an adapter would be required; another reason I am leaning towards using the V brakes in the rear.

I don't know of any major issues that would prohibit me from doing this, except maybe appearances, but that doesn't really concern me. Any other problems come to mind?

Slow riding mama's boy

No issues with that whatsoever! :)

I love the setup. If my Gummar could take a disc on the rear I'd run it, but it really isn't necessary, especially since I don't ride in a lot of moisture.

I've run this setup on bikes in the past using various disks (Marta SLs, Avid Disk, etc.) and it has always been great, even when using hydraulics on the front and a v brake on the back. With good cables and lining on the rear (and a good lever), it's smooth like buttah.

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    If you can have just one disc, front is the place for it. I used disc front/V rear for several months before adding a rear disc. Worked great. Found I nearly stopped using the rear brake because the front worked so well.

The ability to lock the rear wheel does not make any brake "good" or powerful. The amount of lever effort and controllability is important. I like my rear disc because it is less fatiguing and easier to use.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005

... and if we just ...

Thanks for the posts. I am going to go with the front disc and rear V for now and see how that works out. I agree, the front brake is the "stopping" brake. Same as a car, that's why you have to change out your front brake pads on your car 2-3 times more often than the rear pads.

Thanks again for the help!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by murocflyer
    Thanks for the posts. I am going to go with the front disc and rear V for now and see how that works out. I agree, the front brake is the "stopping" brake. Same as a car, that's why you have to change out your front brake pads on your car 2-3 times more often than the rear pads.

Thanks again for the help!
    Interestingly enough, pleanty of MTBR'ers here on this very forum will tell you their rear disc pads wear out sooner than their fronts. I ain't figgered that one yet, other'n folks using their rears continuously as drag brakes.

You asked why not run front disc/rear V. I'll throw a couple at you: rim wear, wet weather/mud performance, out of true rims, modulation.

But I don't necessarily subscribe to any of those reasons. I ran disc/V for a good two years before adding a rear disc unit. Gobs of power out of my front Avid, and no need for anything more in the rear given the Northern California climate I ride in.

'soon as I built my first rear wheel, though, that all changed. No way I was scraping up my new rim if I could run discs instead! Honest, that swung my decision!

I think you'll dig disc/V as long as you're on that frame.

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    You asked why not run front disc/rear V. I'll throw a couple at you: rim wear, wet weather/mud performance, out of true rims, modulation.

But I don't necessarily subscribe to any of those reasons. I ran disc/V for a good two years before adding a rear disc unit. Gobs of power out of my front Avid, and no need for anything more in the rear given the Northern California climate I ride in.

'soon as I built my first rear wheel, though, that all changed. No way I was scraping up my new rim if I could run discs instead! Honest, that swung my decision!

I think you'll dig disc/V as long as you're on that frame.
    SpeedHub, great post! I concur wholeheartedly on what you said. I considered all the negatives on why I shouldn't go with V brakes, but then I realized the ones on my Stumpjumper have worked fine for many, many years. If my frame was already set up for discs in the rear, there wouldn't be a choice since are many benefits on the disc brake's side, but since there are almost an equal number of reasons why I can live with the rear V, I believe this is best way to go for now.

But maybe, later on, I could swap to the rear disc if I so desire.
    Thanks for the post!