I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009

The front disc brake on my new bike rings at high speed, is this normal?

I purchased a 2009 Haro Escape, and the front brake rings at high speed like a spinning tin can.. it freaks me out, but the LBS where I bought it says that its normal and ok. I wonder if the ringing means the brake is being slightly applied when I get to high speed.

Anyone have experience with this? is this normal? is there a fix? should I not worry?

When it starts to ring, it can get loud, and starts to really bother me =/ .. but only happens when I'm going particularly fast, but not abnormally fast.
    Last edited by The Red; 05-14-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Off the back...
    It's the speed limiter. When you get to abnormally fast speeds, the Doppler effect makes the ring sound in a frequency too high for humans to hear.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    It's the speed limiter. When you get to abnormally fast speeds, the Doppler effect makes the ring sound in a frequency too high for humans to hear.
    Har, I admit, I chuckled.

But I really am put off by the noise this thing makes, I need to know if its a serious problem, or if I should start conditioning my mind to tune it out and live with it. I have enough anxiety issues.

The ringing noise produces an image in my mind of the wheel spinning freely and flying off.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It sounds like your rotor is hitting your pad because of wheel flex. Now, my Lefty Xmax ST does it at 16mph then stops as I go faster. Strange.......

You can see if you can change the brake set up just a bit to make the rotor be more on center at higher speed. Or, a different quick release can change things also.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yes, the rotor is probably rubbing against one or both brake pads. Do the following:

1) Make sure that the rotor is true.
    2) Check brake pad adjustment.
    3) Check caliper alignment.
    4) Make sure that wheel's quick release is tight. (The tighter, the better. This will help prevent the flex mentioned by ziscwg.)
    5) If it's a mechanical brake system, and there's a spring which pushes the pads apart, check to make sure that this spring is working properly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    Yes, the rotor is probably rubbing against one or both brake pads.
    or worse... like caliper or fork

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Yes, the rotor is probably rubbing against one or both brake pads. Do the following:

1) Make sure that the rotor is true.
    2) Check brake pad adjustment.
    3) Check caliper alignment.
    4) Make sure that wheel's quick release is tight. (The tighter, the better. This will help prevent the flex mentioned by ziscwg.)
    5) If it's a mechanical brake system, and there's a spring which pushes the pads apart, check to make sure that this spring is working properly.
    1) Ok, I'll check the rotor.
    2) How do I adjust the brake pads? .. the screws in the brake assembly seem to be just ones that hold it to the bike, i cant find an adjuster screw.
    3) Will check alignment again. It seems ok, but thats the thing, it IS ok at low speeds, I cant free-spin the front wheel hard enough to cause it, by hand.
    4) Checked spring, looks functional, does what appears to be a full retraction, but I will probably have to release the cable entirely to check tomorrow.

It does seem to do it a lot more often when I'm turning into the brake side... left.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    2) How do I adjust the brake pads? .. the screws in the brake assembly seem to be just ones that hold it to the bike, i cant find an adjuster screw.
    What brand and model of brake do you have?

Underskilled
    How big a rotor?
    bigger rotors tend to wobble more probably bouncing off both sides.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    What brand and model of brake do you have?
    I have a standard 2008 Haro Escape Sport no changes. It says I have Hayes MX4 Mechanical Disc w/7 Front and 6 rear Rotors

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a standard 2008 Haro Escape Sport no changes. It says I have Hayes MX4 Mechanical Disc w/7 Front and 6 rear Rotors
    See http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/MX...EnglishWeb.pdf. The installation instructions will provide you with the information necessary for adjusting the pads and the caliper.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    See http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/MX...EnglishWeb.pdf. The installation instructions will provide you with the information necessary for adjusting the pads and the caliper.
    Thank you! didnt even think of looking for individual part instructions, I was searching for a bike manual that I cant find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was searching for a bike manual that I cant find.
    Bike manuals are often pretty generic. I've found very little useful information in the ones that I have.

You might find some useful information regarding your brake in this thread (Adjusting Hayes MX-4...).

Weekend Warrior
    I have the same problem it whatever i do i can't get rid of it.

No matter how tight you make your front wheel it won't matter if you have a cheap fork. Not sure what for you have, but with the type of riding I do i get a fair amount of fork flex and that's when I get that ring or shim sound.

I run a Dart 3, however i have heard poeple getting that with a Tora and Marzzochi 600 sometimes as well, especially when you start beating that thing up like i do. If you notice, the rear usually never rings.

Solutions:

1) leave as it is and ignore it
    2) retard the pads (which is a problem when you have self adjusting ones)
    3) get smaller rotors (which I also don't recommend as it usually doesn't solve anything). I dropped my 160 in the front and still got it but rarer. I'm happy with my 185mm in the front
    4) if you got money to spend, get a new fork.

I chose option 1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    INo matter how tight you make your front wheel it won't matter if you have a cheap fork. Not sure what for you have, but with the type of riding I do i get a fair amount of fork flex and that's when I get that ring or shim sound.
    It could also be the hub. Try this: Grab the tire or rim and try to pull it from side to side while watching the position of the rotor within the caliper. I'm guessing that you'll be able to make the rotor touch the pads/caliper. See if you can detect where the play is coming from.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm getting the same noise and have a Marz ATA55 with through axle. Still there is somthing causing the roto to flex or vibrate so it hits the pads. The rotor seems to vibrate very easily just by tapping the side of it not too hard. The Larger the rotor i guess the more flex - mine is a 203mm