Mtbr minion
    May 2006

Front brakes with right hand controls

Is there any reason that you cannot route front brakes to the right hand brake lever and master cylinder? It would sure make the transition from motorcycle to mountain bike easier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I like the front brake on the right also, do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nope. Impossible. It will cause the space time continuum to collapse. There is a reason it's they way it is.

Just swap the hose or the whole lever if its the type that allows it.

mtbr member
    What type of brakes do you have? "Moto-style" as it's called, is very popular with motorcyclists and also Europeans, but some types of brakes will require more work to do this than just swapping the side of the bar you mount them on.

I've never felt the need to do this though. I grew up riding dirtbikes and quads, but for some reason was never thrown by the front brake being opposite on my bikes.

mtbr member
    All my bikes are set up with the right hand controlling the front brake. (Except my polo bike w. a duplex lever on the left that actuates front and rear brakes.) I made the switch a couple of years ago and adjusted really quickly.

This setup is not very popular in Europe, mostly just in the UK.

I think it makes a lot of sense for various reasons. First there's the transition to motorcycles - although a lot of people successfully adapt either way depending on what they're riding. As a right-handed person I feel that the front brake is easier to control with my more precise hand. Also in traffic I like to have my hand on the primary brake when signaling to turn left.

Some brake levers are reversible, so you just need to unclamp them from the handlebar, switch sides and screw back on. With others you need to switch the tubing, which is a bit more involved, but still manageable. Be very careful about installing the hose properly and bleed the brakes afterwards.

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    Thanks - it feels more natural with the front on the right. I've got old XTR dual control, so I have to switch brake lines to swap it.

I'm more interested in my next build - Nomad C with all the trimmings. I'm going to set it up moto style for sure. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't bad mtb etiquette...

mtbr member
    The only bad mountain bike etiquette I can think of besides riding trails when they aren't supposed to be ridden is not riding If you're out on the trails, I don't give a damn whether your front brake is on the right or left side.

mtbr member
    Just one good manner to keep in mind: if you let someone try out your bike, make sure you tell them that the front brake lever is on the right.

I know only one other cyclist in my area who runs a RS front brake handle. Everyone else has front brake on the left.