mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Front Brake Squeek

I just installed a new set of BB7s on my bike and the front brake squeeks when I pull the lever. Does anybody know if this will go away after the brakes get broke in or is there something I can do to fix the noise. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

My BB7's howled....

like a scalded dog when brand new. Once bedded in they quited down. The only time they make any noise now is when they're hot or wet. If they don't quiet down after they're bedded, check your set up, i.e. run thorough the set up procedure in the owner's manual again. The caliper may not be quite square with the rotor. Another factor may be the rotors themselves. If your bakes came with the roudagon rotors, you may have to swap them out for the G2 Clean Sweep rotors. The roundagons are notorious for being problematic with noise in some applications. But do give them time to bed in. You'll know when they're bedded. The rotor will show a distinct brake track that is shinny and smooth with a slightly gray tint to it from the inbedded pad material, and you'll notice a gradual increase in braking power. So give it a few rides, like 5 or 6 or so, with some serious braking. From there if they keep howling, start looking for solutions.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I will try them out for a few rides and then see what happens.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    I rode them for 5 days in tough terain and it was OK but not great. Then around my house I did some really hard braking and there was a big improvement. So when they say hard it means really hard!!