Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Front brake...which side?

I was just wondering how many folks switch the front brake lever to the right side. I grew up riding motorcycles and this left/front is impossible for me to get used to. I just bought a used bike with hydraulic brakes and I hope that I'll be able to switch them (I'm picking the bike up tomorrow).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    some brakes are really easy to switch...others like avid juicy arent since they only face one way since they have an adjuster for the pads right on the lever...but i think most hayes can be flip flopped....so just depends what you got...you can always poor more money into though and do whatever you want.

mtbr member
    My soon to be bike has Shimano Hydraulics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    in that case you cant just switch them, it would take a lot of work to make the left side for the rear and right side for the front, including bleeding the brakes and a big pain in the ass for who ever does it.....two options:
    1. get used to it
    2. buy new brakes.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776
    in that case you cant just switch them, it would take a lot of work to make the left side for the rear and right side for the front, including bleeding the brakes and a big pain in the ass for who ever does it.....two options:
    1. get used to it
    2. buy new brakes.
    This actually is a pretty common thing to do. A buddy of mine has his that way. I grew up riding motorcycles as well, and had a hard time getting used to it, in the beginning. But after time you do get used to it. I too thought about changing mine way back when. But just thought it would be a major hassle so I left them and eventually got used to it. Just think, if you change it over to motorcycle style every time you ride some one elses bike your definately going over the bars.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 02-02-2007 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member

Try this

May be switch your motorcycle brakes

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Search is your friend, this has been done to death many times before. The threads here and here are just two examples…

Do whatever feels right for you, it’s a very simple job to switch lines around and bleed your brakes if you want to change your setup.

I’m amazed that the suggestion was made to buy new brakes instead of doing a simple cheap job!

Dave.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by beljum
    My soon to be bike has Shimano Hydraulics
    you will have to switch the levers and re-bleed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I don't give a flying **** what Joan Claybrook thinks. Any flat-tracker will tell you that real motorcycles shift on the right, and clutch on the left. That leaves the right handlebar for the front brake, if you have one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776
    some brakes are really easy to switch...others like avid juicy arent since they only face one way
    I know it's not relevant for your Shimano's, but you can very easily flip Avid Juicy 3's, 5's & 7's. They look identical on each side even with printed logo.

Here in Australia we have the front brake on the right side as default. Same in the UK- has to do with driving on the left maybe?

Either way, it's worth the bleed

Double-metric mtb man
    Personally, I like the rear on the right....I'm quite good at keeping which vehicle I'm piloting straight. For planes, I control with my right do everything else left...for cars, I steer with the left and do everything else right. Dirtbikes are right side brakes, left side tranny where as mtb is front stuff (brake and der) left, rear stuff right.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Grip it and rip it.
    Front brake on the right, has to be done
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    eh, its simple to switch shimanos.
    1. ditch your grips (get lock-ons anyhow).
    2. release the bars from the stem
    3. remove shifters if they're on the outside of the brake levers (will require some acrobatics with the bar)
    4. switch brake levers
    5. replace shifters
    6. fit grips

done it loads of times... no bleeding or swapping of hoses usually required.
    Every tool is special.

Warrior's Society
    We have had all 3 of the Hayden boys' bikes in our shop in the 3-4 weeks. They all run the brakes right/rear.....left/front. I do believe they spend quite a lot of time on the motorcycles, yet they can all figure it out.

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Thanks guys..I just got back from picking up my new (to me) ride....what a great looking bike!! Anyways....it looks like the switch-a-roo will work well..thanks for the tip. The front brake thing has embedded itself into my reflex...I gotta change 'em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Oldman
    I don't give a flying **** what Joan Claybrook thinks. Any flat-tracker will tell you that real motorcycles shift on the right, and clutch on the left. That leaves the right handlebar for the front brake, if you have one.
    Oh yeah Crusty!! One of my motorcycles is a 1955 Triumph 650..right side shift..I love it! Wasnt Joan Claybrook the Brainiac that wanted to fit motorcycles with seatbelts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    We have had all 3 of the Hayden boys' bikes in our shop in the 3-4 weeks. They all run the brakes right/rear.....left/front. I do believe they spend quite a lot of time on the motorcycles, yet they can all figure it out.

mtnbikej

I dont think the Haydens know what brakes are...only throttle.

Photog Cyclist.
    Just got off the phone with a friend of mine---his son just turned pro in motocross--he rides both road and mountain bikes for cross-training--so I ask him how the brakes are "the same way they came from the shop" he said--he never thought of switching them "I don't have a problem remembering which bike I am on"!!!!! Just a thought from a 17yo kid!!!
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Just don't count on a quick feathering of the left brake lever to pop your front wheel up like a clutch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beljum
    I was just wondering how many folks switch the front brake lever to the right side. I grew up riding motorcycles and this left/front is impossible for me to get used to. I just bought a used bike with hydraulic brakes and I hope that I'll be able to switch them (I'm picking the bike up tomorrow).
    Just on my fixie. It's the only brake lever I have, and I'm so damn right handed,I can't pick my nose with my left.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm
    Just got off the phone with a friend of mine---his son just turned pro in motocross--he rides both road and mountain bikes for cross-training--so I ask him how the brakes are "the same way they came from the shop" he said--he never thought of switching them "I don't have a problem remembering which bike I am on"!!!!! Just a thought from a 17yo kid!!!
    The best advice so far. Just get used to it. You said it yourself its a brand bew bike. Just try it normal and if you don't like it after a while then switch. It will just be a lot easier having a standard setup.

bi-winning
    My dad switched his levers up. simple job when running Vees.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Ya, front brake on the right.

I grew up in England and that's how they ride. Impossible to unlearn.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    You can swap hoses on a Shimano setup without getting air in the system.

I've run motorcycle style brakes since my first bike with handbrakes. Some motorheads will insist on Left front brake, and others Right.

It all depends on how you ride and how you pay attention to braking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Just on my fixie. It's the only brake lever I have, and I'm so damn right handed,I can't pick my nose with my left.

Me too! I keep poking myself in the eye!!

(You guys are great! You all should get together and write a sitcom!!!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast