~Reformed Mechanic~

Front brake pulse issue

System is Avid elixir 3's with Magura Storm SL 180mm on front and Avid 180mm adapter.

Recently I have made a few changes to the front end and the front brakes but Im now getting a pulsing from the front brakes. It looks like the whole front fork is moving back and forth with the pulse like it were loose (which it is not)

The rotor (which is brand new) is perfectly straight no warping but I also recently changed my fork to 120mm travel...

Is the most likely a fork issue or brake issue?

official eMpTyBRain
    It's an alignment issue or possible a rotor/caliper relation issue.

As far as alignment, the caliper may be slightly off center, the mounting tabs (on the fork) may be slightly off center or the surface on the mounting tabs themselves may need to be resurfaced.

If you are not using the recommended rotor for your brake caliper, there may be a mis-contact issue.

The other possibility is a loose or broken fork internal. With your left hand, squeeze your front brake lever very firmly. Place you other hand around where the upper and lower tubes of the fork connect. Rock the bike forward and backward rapidly. Do you feel any play in there? Keep the front lever squeezed firmly and put your hand around the other side of the fork. A tiny bit of play is normal but if you can hear it, or see the upper and lower moving apart, you've got an issue. Excessive play between the fork tubes will definately cause your brakes to pulsate.

While you have the lever firmly squeezed, also check the headset for excessive play. Again, a tiny bit of play is normal. But if you can hear it or see it moving, tighten it up.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation