mtbr member

Front brake preference?

How many here have their bikes set up with the front brake on the right side control? It seems natural that way to me after riding motorcycles for years.

Is there any advantage to having the front brake set up for the left hand?
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    I think if you put the front on the left hand side you get more symmetry ie. On my bike the lef t brake lever is for the back, and the shifter is for the chainrings (the front), on the right side the lever is for the front but the shifter is for the sprockets.

I guess if you were really bored you could swap them around. Maybe also with cable brakes a rightie could get better modulation for the front brake through the use of their dominant hand, not too much but just the right ammount of force.

That's my name
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    How many here have their bikes set up with the front brake on the right side control? It seems natural that way to me after riding motorcycles for years.

I feel exactly the same way! To me having the front brake on the right seems natural.
    However if you grew up with the opposite then you would think that it felt natural as well.
    Personally i think that changing would be pointless, if you are used to them being a certain way then leave it be. The change would result in you having to think too much about something that should basically be a reflex action. I remember the first time i rode a bike in Europe i nearly endoed in a relatively fast corner! I wanted to slide the rear a little to help turn, but instead grabbed a handful of front and nearly went OTB!!
    For me i will stick with what i know, that way i am safer on an mtb and motorbike!

it's....
    Been riding motorcycles for over 20 years, but I can ride MTB with front brake on either side.
    But when I built up my new frame this spring, I went the moto route and set the front brake on the right side and do not have any problem, even with 203mm Avid mechs.

Fremen

Moto-styl'in

-4 stroke dirt-bike rider, set my mountain bike with front brake on right side. It just makes sense since I'm right handed & I use the front brake way more.-Also no confusion between bikes. I think the cable-routing also works out better this way.
    [size=2]*Riding without internal combustion since 1991*[/size]