mtbr member

Fresh Avid rotor/pad question/help

I just replaced a warped rotor with a fresh G2 and also installed a fresh set of Avid pads. As the tire spins round, there is a very audible rotor drag on the pads. The whole time its just TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Mildly annoying. Is this bad or common? First time Ive replaced a rotor/set of pads myself so Im not sure if thats common with a fresh set of pads to do or if I should double check the install.

The pads clicked in like theyre supposed to perfectly fine, the shim is in there as well installed correctly between the two pads. The R pad is next to the spokes, I know its all correct.

b a n n e d
    Sounds like your caliper needs to be realigned . . . which makes sense since you replaced a warped rotor with a (supposedly) true one.

mtbr member
    yeah, you just need to re-align your caliper

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Like others said...align the caliper.
    also...your new pads are thicker than the old ones....sometimes a little too think because of production tolerances.
    It may take a ride for them to wear and bed in.
    You may also have to remove the wheel and spread the pads to get the pistons to equalize and center.

mtbr member
    Replaced my rotors and pads (Juicy 3's, organic pads, 203F and 185R) 30 minutes ago and have a similar/the same issue. There is literally zero space between the R and L pads and the rotor (i.e. no room for re-adjustment, also pads have fully retracted). The rubbing is throughout the full wheel rotation. First time changing these out myself. I'll go with what the esteemed Mr. Quimby suggested. If they don't wear down soon, I be back

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Herger
    . I'll go with what the esteemed Mr. Quimby suggested. If they don't wear down soon, I be back
    Er ahh....would you like a street named after you?