-arschloch-
    Apr 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Free stuff inside!

You must read and reply to the following three questions to get the free stuff:

1. Does anyone know what the difference really is between shimano ML 525 and ML 555 disc brakes. Is it just the color and the housing or are the internals different as well?

2. Are the ML 525 discs upgradeable to a 203mm / 8" front disc? If so, is the caliper body / piston capable of handling it? Also if so, from who, where and how much?

3. I am considering either HFX9s or Shimano Deore ML 525s. I have ridden both and have heard lots of good and bad about both from local folks. Are there any particular aspects of either brake that would tip the scales in favor of one set or the other for you? I ride hard XC, light free ride and the occaisional lift operated park trip (3x / year).

the free stuff is quite simple: my eternal gratitude.

Thanks.

yeah, i know, i am a jackass, but i figgered no one would ever read another stoopid "which brakes do ah need far ma bicycle post"
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

29 some of the time...
    Typically Shimano keeps an OEM level of deore. I have a the lower level deore hub. In it's case the only difference is that the hub does not come with the rubber cone seals and there isn't a deore label on it. I would imagine the disc setup is simillar in that there will be an added feature to the higher level deore that will go unnoticed by 95% of the people who look at it. I can't help you on the upgrade question.

I would go hayes since more shops have the small parts and knowledge to keep em running.

back in the saddle!
    I think the main difference between the two is that the 525 caliper itself is post mount, and comes with an adapter for international standard, and the 555 is an international standard mount.
    I'm sure you could upgrade either brakes to a larger rotor at the cost of an adapter and rotor, maybe not a deore rotor or adapter though. I'm pretty sure the caliper/piston could handle it, I actually think it would have to do less work with a bigger rotor due to more surface area (less heat) and a bigger circumference (farther away from the center, more leverage).
    I haven't owned either myself, so I could just be "blowin' smoke" . Some people I've heard from hate having to adjust their levers all the time with the HFX-9, but some people say there are a great "value" oriented brake and don't have any problems with them. I personally would pay a few extra bucks and get the mags(much better levers).
    Another option that you could look at if cost is an object is Avid mechanical, a very good brake, with little maintenance, and lots of stopping power.
    HTH

Cheers