Bike to the Bone...

Frankenbrakes: Magura levers/XT caliper

I'm really not seriously thinking on doing this, but would that combo work? I have some Louise BAT levers and I can get the XT 2012 calipers (not the whole kit, just the calipers). Would this work?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I see no impediment why these two components can not be joined in holy matrimony.

What you'll have then would be called a Shigura hydraulic disc brake.

Generally, calipers and levers of the same type of brake (open system vs closed system) which uses the same type of fluid (DOT vs mineral oil) will work together.

Then, all you have to do is work out the hose fittings and the bleed method.

If the lever doesn't push enough fluid, then you'll need to overfill the reservoir to make the pistons move closer to the rotor.

Here's a link to an old thread that might help: Shigura MaXTR (Marta XTR Frankenbrake)

mtbr member
    Years ago there was a post by (I think Hammerhead) where he used Magura levers and shimano calipers. He said it worked.

Tim

mtbr member
    Finish Line had a mix up in the production. They sent out bottles as DOT that were full of mineral oil. Screwed up more than one set of Avids that I know of.
    I would have thought the more benign mineral oil might be OK in a DOT system. Evidently not.

The issue presented in the lever. Perhaps the caliper would function fine?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Finish Line had a mix up in the production. They sent out bottles as DOT that were full of mineral oil. Screwed up more than one set of Avids that I know of.
    I would have thought the more benign mineral oil might be OK in a DOT system. Evidently not.

The issue presented in the lever. Perhaps the caliper would function fine?
    Magura uses Mineral oil.

mtbr member
    So if the fluid matches- do you think you could end up w/ a system that might actually work better? At least in some areas of braking success.
    Or perhaps much worse.

Remember when V-brakes came out? Plenty of folks liked their non-V levers and didn't want to swap. So they ran the old lever w/ the new V caliper. Buckets of stopping power. More than the correct lever w/ the V caliper. Not that it didn't have issues. Light pad wear and then pads wouldn't grab any more. Any rim not perfectly true would rub. Most that were true would rub. Super mooooshy feel at the lever. People talked about them as "light switches". Either on or off. No (this was the first time I heard folks blab about this term in the bike braking world) modulation.
    The non V levers didn't pull enough cable to do the job well.

There might be a similar disc issue. Either too much fluid is pushed, or too little. Too much and I suppose that there wouldn't be much pad drag. But decreased power.
    Or in the reverse- the pads would have to be super close to the rotor and might drag plenty but the power might be great.

Or it's late and I haven't thought it all through.
    Would love to know how it turns out but am too lazy to search for other successful mismatched lever/calipers.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.