Dr Phil mmkay

Franken brake possibility? Elixir lever & Code caliper...

Just wondering if anyone's ever tried this. I recently ordered a set of Elixir Rs to replace my Code 5s on my FR bike. I'm wondering if I could do a lever/caliper swap. A mechanic at my LBS said that since the two brakes may have differing piston volume and fluid movement capacity, it may not work.

On the other hand, Sam Hill's running Juicy Ultimate (or is it Carbon) levers on Elixir calipers. I mean, if Sam Hill can do it...

So my Q's are:

1. Anyone tried this? (or thought about trying it)
    2. Are the lever/caliper combos compatible?
    3. Where does the new Elixirs get their power? Modulation? Is it from lever design or caliper piston size?
    4. If this won't work, I should be fine with Code 5s on my 29lb 4X/DJ/trail hardtail right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

... and if we just ...

Can't say I've ever tried it, but being that the Juicy 5 MC has found it's way on the Code to become the Code 5, there are a couple of things to look at that might help you determine if it's yay or nay
    1st, compare caliper piston diameters between the Juicy caliper and the Elixir caliper. If their diameters are similar (I'd wager no difference greater than a mm or two), you might be able to get away with the swap.
    2nd, from the hype machine that is the interweb, the Elixir's modulation stems from the tapered MC piston bore of the lever. Now, a portion of the lever feel (a good deal of it) also stems from how the caliper pistons are designed to retract. The Elixir's were said to have less clearance between the pad and rotor, so the lever engages the pads quicker. My hunch on this one is that this is due to less fluid deplacement at the MC, so to compensate they had to design the pistons to slide more through the seals at the caliper before the seals retracted the piston back into the bore.
    Where does this leave you? Heck if I know, but until Avid designs a four piston Elixir caliper, I'd stick with what ya got. They were designed to work together, and it seems like life is good in that regard, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?
    You are not what you own.

Dr Phil mmkay
    Thank's for the insight, Juan. I'm going to stick with the Elixirs on my big bike, although running Code 5s on the hardtail is a bit of overkill.

The Elixirs so far are quite an amazing brake system!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil mmkay
    Thank's for the insight, Juan. I'm going to stick with the Elixirs on my big bike, although running Code 5s on the hardtail is a bit of overkill.

The Elixirs so far are quite an amazing brake system!
    One learns to be leary of a new system, but it's good to hear more and more positive experiences with the Elixirs. For being one of the least expensive models around, it delivers the best performance for a two piston design that I've experienced.

Members who have read this thread: 0