mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New question here. FR/DH brake overkill for AM setup?

Hi guys, I've been watching this forum for so long, never had time to ask because so much great information is answered here... but maybe now is the right time to post my own questions...

I want to upgrade my brake to a stronger disc set... I'm using Hope Mini X2 Pro on my Yeti 575, it's a good brake in most of the situation... but, sometimes I need a harder brake...

my question is :
    Is getting a FR/DH specific brake really going to overkill you? Because I'm aiming for V2, or Saint... or anything in that class... or do you have any other suggestions?

Lighter weight is great but I don't mind to put some more weight because my top priority is to have a stronger stop in some hard descending...

Thank a lot for your time replying mine

mtbr member
    I run Formula The Ones on my Bottlerocket, which sees everything from AM to DH duty. Are they more brake than I need for some of the AM stuff I do? Yes. Is having that extra bit of power on tap nice? Yes.

Put it this way: when was the last time you said your brakes were too powerful?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I ride Santa Cruz Chameleon AM hardtail, I run the Saint M810, 180/160. I think it is prefect for my bike. It has great shopping power and not too heavy, but don't use 203/203.

squish is good
    My short answer is that it depends...

Are you currently running 8" rotors (or 203mm) or something smaller. IME a lighter brake with big rotors performs extremely well under most conditions. Honestly most of the dedicated DH brake systems I've used have felt like overkill and not really necessary. They can be nice for very very long sustained downhills where forearm burn builds up but for most of my AM riding I don't think they are required. I'm no weight weenie myself so I'm not opposed to using them but I think they can be detrimental to modulation compared to a lot of the mid power designs. Personally I'm a huge fan of Shimano SLX, XT, or Avid Elixers at any spec level for AM riding or downhill. They offer great modulation and good power compared to the bigger designs. I use SLX brakes on my 6" bike and Elixers on my DH bike for reference and though they do require some power at the levers I've only felt it wanting in a few situations. I'd only consider going to full on DH brakes for the steepest and longest trails I ride. I guess I'd say going to a stronger brake isn't a bad idea but if you aren't already using larger rotors you may have some unused power left in the brakes you are currently running. I've heard good things about the hope minis.
    Bike good, work bad.

Underskilled
    same as above, how is it possible to have too much power?!

I use formula the one on my commuter bike and love it. When a car pulls out in front of me I can stop FAST.

Powerful brakes are a must for every bike

p.s. my commuter bike is a bit more hardcore than most.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I consider brakes a safety feature...cannot over-do it.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be running 09 Saints w/ 203mm Hope rotors. I don't think you can ever have too much brakes

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the reply...
    I'm 5'10 and 80 kgs... Running Lyrik in front... Hope mini X2 Pro 160/160, changing to a bigger disc seems to be a great option... Is 180/180 a good jump? or should I go 203/203 instead?

@Simon: "..., but don't use 203/203." is this a suggestion? Can I ask why?

I've heard a lot of great thing about Formula, and The One is definitely in the top list if I want to change my brake...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by itoncool
    Thanks for the reply...
    I'm 5'10 and 80 kgs... Running Lyrik in front... Hope mini X2 Pro 160/160, changing to a bigger disc seems to be a great option... Is 180/180 a good jump? or should I go 203/203 instead?

@Simon: "..., but don't use 203/203." is this a suggestion? Can I ask why?

I've heard a lot of great thing about Formula, and The One is definitely in the top list if I want to change my brake...
    I prefer 180s over 203's for any riding except DH. Smaller rotors tend to be less grabby, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I run a 203 front and a 160 rear on my AM setup. When you are really grabbing a lot of front brake and the back of the bike is getting light the 160 gives good control. The 203 front is more than enough power.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I weigh pretty much the same and went from Hope Mini's 180/160 (pre mono's) to a Mono M4 220 up front. 200 mini rear. I then went to 180 Mono M4 front and rear and now on 200 Mono M4 front 180 rear.

180/180 Mono M4 is IMO the best AM set up. You don't need bigger unless you are doing Alpine riding.

mtbr member
    I got my Saints today. Currently I have a 183mm on the front, and 160mm on the rear of the Nomad. After a quick ride around the street, I'm thinking maybe there is such a thing as too much brakes.

The Saints are so much more powerful than my XTRs, I came pretty close to going over the bars the first time I touched them Maybe I shouldn't have bought the 203mm rotors. eeemmm.......

mtbr member
    You will like them on the trails. I rode my Saints for the 1st time Sunday. Love 'em. I have 180 up front and 160 in rear. I am going to try 180 front and back.

See what the trails feel like, not the street. I think you will adjust and like them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I feel there is no such thing as too much brake, but going from mini's to v2 or saints is a big big leap in stopping power. I'd recommend going to a 180mm rotor up front plus a Hope m4 caliper and leave the rear alone.

If thats not enough power, then go on to the v2, saints, ones, codes, m6, gustavs

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm going to change my 160/160 to 180/180 first this weekend and see how it goes...
    I'll report the update... thx a lot guys...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm running CODE calipers with 203 rotor F & 180 R and Ultimate levers. Brake hard as the stock CODE but with the better modulation of the Juicy Levers (of course ligth too)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been running m810 Saints with 203/185 rotors on my Prophet for the last 10 months.
    They repleced a set of Juicy 7 brakes and not once did I regret the change. They have more power and handle long descents much better.
    I would never go back to anything less powerfull.
    If you consider the benefits, the weight difference becomes negligible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Too much brake power. you can never have too much i run hope M6ti 205mm floating rotors but i will admit they are as excessive as you can get but reliable when called upon you should go for the bigger rotors with the same callipers you will notice the difference if its still not enough go for better callipers then as you may be fine with just bigger discs thats cheeper too

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    my beater bike is a yeti dj long i have juicy 3s with 203 rotors stops amazing stops and slows
    on the single track i put my codes on it off my freeride bike and never noticest much of a difference on the dj but the 3s faded out quick on my freeride bike i guess what i am saying is you can never overkill on brakes

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Finally, I've changed my Mini X2 Pro with Tech V2 + 8" disc... A heavier brake but I can deal with that, much greater power as I expected, surprisingly is still control able...

It's a Great decision, Thanks guys...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    there is no such thing as overkill, i just bolted up the matching back brake on my "xc" bike,a hayes stroker ace 4 piston brake, it's wild on the street i can hear my front tire sort of tearing into the knobs sort of semi skidding,i use a 205mm rotor in the front. Great brakes, the large pads actually are not that grabby because of the large surface area ,but the power just escalates really hard.

mtbr member
    Too much power is like too much money.
    It's never enough.

But then, I just switched from XT four pots to Gustavs.

Nothing exceeds like excess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What is the story with gustavs these days, a few years back they were generelly considered DH brakes that always dragged a bit. How do you think they would compare to hayes stroker ace brakes?i guess you like them or think they're better, because you just got them.

mtbr member
    There's no noticeable drag at all.
    I loved the 755s but these are a definite step up.
    The feel is great and they lock up at will.

My only complaint is with Magura's use of a proprietary 210mm rotor instead of a 203mm.

I'm running a Hope Big'Un front hub with the special 5 hole mount and Magura doesn't make a rotor for it.
    It forced me to switch to a 190 front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    big uns are pretty awesome i have them on my old(retired) heavy bike,seems like a special adaptor could be made. there are companies making 225mm rotors, but probabely not for that hole pattern.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    big uns are pretty awesome i have them on my old(retired) heavy bike,
    It's definitely a beast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steveccnv
    I run a 203 front and a 160 rear on my AM setup. When you are really grabbing a lot of front brake and the back of the bike is getting light the 160 gives good control. The 203 front is more than enough power.

being a motorcycle rider/tech this is pretty much the same as a bike.... BIG disc up front, small out back.... no matter what kinda vehicle its gonna be the same ratio -- 75% front , 25% back..... im gonna go with a 203 front and leave my 160 in the back..... should be awesome stopping power....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Upgrade once and go big so you'll never have to again. A DH brake will handle AM just fine but would an XC or AM handle DH? IMO, the brand and type has more to do with modulation than anything else. It's been my experience in both cars and bikes that larger rotors provide BETTER modulation.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

Fat Guy Riding
    Did you guys know that Peaty's WC bike had a 160mm front and 140mm rear rotor, Elixir CR calipers and Juicy Ultimate levers?

We're all overdoing the brake thing, quite obviously. Get stronger forearms so they don't pump up and *maybe* bigger rotors, but you're just carrying a lot of extra weight with anything else. Bleed them properly and keep fresh pads in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by jschwart73
    Did you guys know that Peaty's WC bike had a 160mm front and 140mm rear rotor, Elixir CR calipers and Juicy Ultimate levers?

We're all overdoing the brake thing, quite obviously. Get stronger forearms so they don't pump up and *maybe* bigger rotors, but you're just carrying a lot of extra weight with anything else. Bleed them properly and keep fresh pads in them.
    ya and how often does he ACTUALLY "USE" HIS BRAKES.......... prob. a whole lotta never....lol

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    ya and how often does he ACTUALLY "USE" HIS BRAKES.......... prob. a whole lotta never....lol
    yeah, first one down the mountain for a reason

Fat Guy Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    Go watch any DH video. They use them, and HARD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    They use them EFFICIENTLY

it was a joke, fwiw.

mtbr member
    For what; 2-3 minutes?
    Seriously, how long is the average DH run, a few minutes? Then the bike gets put away till the next race. Not much of a test for your brakes.
    Even in training or practice the brakes get far more time cooling between runs than they spend working.

Want to test your brakes? Do a nice long sustained DH trail where you're constantly on & off your brakes for an hour or more.

Heck, Porcupine Rim is probably tougher on brakes than your average DH race.
    Last edited by roxtar; 11-19-2009 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    double posted

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    plattekill mtn ny makes some of the hottest brakes i've ever seen,twisty really steep trails ,people have thought that something stained their rotors and burnt themselves trying to wipe off the blue colored stuff.There are also speed runs there ,out on the grass, with tight turns at the end, that is just one really hard stop,but it can be from 50ish to 20 or even ten if you go into the woods near the bottom. There is truth to the statement that a lot of regular people use a lot more brake than better riders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    There is truth to the statement that a lot of regular people use a lot more brake than better riders.
    that would def. be a true statement..

Members who have read this thread: 0