mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Fox 40 brake adaptors

Just installed a Fox 40 fork. Had originally purchased a IS 203 Brake adaptor to mount my avid juicy 5's with 203mm rotor. This had my caliper out away from rotor where it would only contact about half the pads surface. I go to my local bike shop and he uses a IS 160 adaptor and it lines it up perfectly.

Why and How Come?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think Fox did it this way to keep it stiff and extended the brake mount on the fork to compensate. I ran into the same problem today with mine. Was told to get a 160mm IS front to work with my Saint Brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyboss
    Just installed a Fox 40 fork. Had originally purchased a IS 203 Brake adaptor to mount my avid juicy 5's with 203mm rotor. This had my caliper out away from rotor where it would only contact about half the pads surface. I go to my local bike shop and he uses a IS 160 adaptor and it lines it up perfectly.

Why and How Come?

Because the fork is designed to work with a 180mm rotor from the get-go, the adapter you had was designed to take a 160 setup and move it out to a 203. So, with your adapter you could go with a 225 rotor