Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Ont-Trail-Rider
    Reputation: crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    142

    found cause of the rub... now what

    I just found out that when I tighten the Skewer on the front wheel that is what is causing the disc break rotor to rub on one internal pad. I can live with the rub I guess being it will wear down after some time I would assume. But if I leave the skewer loose, the wheel spins with little to hardly any friction. Obviously, I am not going ride with the skewer loose . So is this normal? The forks on the bike are bomber EXR comps. Oh and by the way, the breaks are Hayes MX1 Mechanicals.

    thanks
    Cheers!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5
    I have noticed that as well ... the fact is that the frame and the fork seem to flex quite abit depending on the tightness of the QR skewers and that if you set your brakes and then take the wheel off and then put it back on with a different amount of tension on the skewer then you will have to re-adjust your brakes ... the problem is that your brakes are harder to adjust than say the Avid Mechs ...


    Hope that helps

  3. #3
    Formerly RyanC
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by crank
    I just found out that when I tighten the Skewer on the front wheel that is what is causing the disc break rotor to rub on one internal pad. I can live with the rub I guess being it will wear down after some time I would assume. But if I leave the skewer loose, the wheel spins with little to hardly any friction. Obviously, I am not going ride with the skewer loose . So is this normal? The forks on the bike are bomber EXR comps. Oh and by the way, the breaks are Hayes MX1 Mechanicals.

    thanks
    Make sure when you are aligning the caliper that you have the QR tightened to the proper tension you would have it at when riding. Try and be consistent with that tension when taking off and installing the wheel each time.
    -Ryan

  4. #4
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by crank
    I just found out that when I tighten the Skewer on the front wheel that is what is causing the disc break rotor to rub on one internal pad. I can live with the rub I guess being it will wear down after some time I would assume. But if I leave the skewer loose, the wheel spins with little to hardly any friction. Obviously, I am not going ride with the skewer loose . So is this normal? The forks on the bike are bomber EXR comps. Oh and by the way, the breaks are Hayes MX1 Mechanicals.

    thanks
    Avid mechanicals are a bit easier to deal with this issue but..

    You should've gotten spacers(shims/washers) so that you can shim the brake(space it out). What you need to do is tighen your wheel to the normal tightness, then adjust the caliper with the washers.

  5. #5
    Formerly RyanC
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Avid mechanicals are a bit easier to deal with this issue but..

    You should've gotten spacers(shims/washers) so that you can shim the brake(space it out). What you need to do is tighen your wheel to the normal tightness, then adjust the caliper with the washers.
    The Hayes mechanicals do not require spacers to center them over the rotor. They are similar in setup to the Avid mechanical minus the CPS adjustment range with a IS-to-post mount adapter that allows the caliper to slide side to side.
    -Ryan

  6. #6
    Ont-Trail-Rider
    Reputation: crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    142

    spacer shoul do it

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Gravity
    The Hayes mechanicals do not require spacers to center them over the rotor. They are similar in setup to the Avid mechanical minus the CPS adjustment range with a IS-to-post mount adapter that allows the caliper to slide side to side.
    -Ryan
    Actually I have already placed with that option and have slid the one pad as far to the one side as possible. I think adding a spacer/waster bolt to the inside fork between break and fork mount will do the trid. Just need to get a1-3mm to do the trick.

    If that does not fix it I will take it to the LBS. Don't feel like pedaling against the break. Also they were setup at the LBS so I just feel taking it to them is going to do nothing.
    Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. Disc brake rub, 20mm vs QR
    By SinglePivot in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 01:56 AM
  2. What's the coolest thing you've ever found while riding?
    By BurkeVT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 09:56 AM
  3. v-brakes and tire rub issue
    By seely in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 08:22 AM
  4. How much rub is too much rub??
    By Kaparzo in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 07:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •