mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Formula, Shimano, Hygia?

I have had enough of dealing with my Hayes Stroker Carbons so I am looking for new brakes. These will be going on a Voodoo Canzo 29er used in Texas on XC trails. I have more or less narrowed it down to the following sets: Shimano SLX, Formula Oro K18, Hygia Elite or Shimano XT M775. All would be within a few bucks of the same price except for the XT, which I don't think are worth the $50ish premium over the SLX.

I am looking for reliability, modulation and power, in that order. I am willing to spend more, but I have two sets of Strokers to replace, so I would like to stay in the $200/bike range. However, I am seriously considering going to BB7's on my SS, so that might allow a little more cash for the FS bike.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think the Hygia's are considerably cheaper than the rest, right?

Maybe I'm wrong

mtbr member
    Every bike I've ridden with XT's has been flawless. Good modulation, good power, silent, etc. I'm messing with serious noise on Stroker Rydes right now, and I'm about ready to pony up for XT's and be done with the BS.
    "Got everything you need?"

GAME ON!
    i've had good experiences with the formulas. fine modulation and feel. never tried the other ones.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I have the Magura Marta SL's, Shimano M775 XT's, and the Hygia SLP's. For the Money the Hygias are the best. Go for the Hygia Elites.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yeloblammo
    I think the Hygia's are considerably cheaper than the rest, right?

Maybe I'm wrong
    All would be right around $200 complete, except for the M775's, which would be about $50 more.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    I have the Magura Marta SL's, Shimano M775 XT's, and the Hygia SLP's. For the Money the Hygias are the best. Go for the Hygia Elites.
    How do feel about the SLP? I am still willing to consider the SLP and Usagi as well as the Elite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The only hydro's I've had experience with are the Formula Oro K24's and before that it was BB7's. The Formula's have been nothing short of awesome for me. Much stronger than the BB7's. BB7's are great brakes, it's just the the Formula brakes have been better.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor
    How do feel about the SLP? I am still willing to consider the SLP and Usagi as well as the Elite.

The SLP's are great. They are just not as tough as the Elites. I guess it really depends on you riding style and weight. The SLP's are more cross country then All mountain. They work well with the Shimano Center Lock brakes. I really like how simple they are to ajust reach and pad contact. There is nothing fancy about them which is one way the weigh so little. I also like how short the SLP lever is which allows them to be run closer to the grip and still use it for 1 finger braking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you dont mind the color get two of these, with these in the front of each bike youll never need more. they are i.s. mount though and not post so im not sure if they sell adaptors. at 110 bucks each for magura marta sl's these are are great light brakes for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magura-Marta-SL-...7#ht_500wt_949

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by menusk
    if you dont mind the color get two of these, with these in the front of each bike youll never need more. they are i.s. mount though and not post so im not sure if they sell adaptors. at 110 bucks each for magura marta sl's these are are great light brakes for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magura-Marta-SL-...7#ht_500wt_949
    I love the idea of $110 Marta, but I will not be running only a front brake. I like trail-braking and redundancy. I have had a rear brake fail on me, I would hate to have my ONLY brake fail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How do you like your lever feel? That could be a factor, depending on how picky you are. I have the Hygia elites w/ shimano xt rotors, they def. modulate better than my hayes nine they replaced, BUT, the lever feel is a bit 'softer', not the solid feel of the hayes. The shimano's seem to be the same as the elites for lever feel. Also, elites have grub screw reach and piston stroke adjust (would this be the same as bite point?) separately, which I find very nice for setting up the brake levers in the cockpit. Brakes are quiet w/ the original pads, I'm getting a little noise with goodridge semi's but these are new and I still have to re-adjust them. Overall, pretty impressed with these except the lever feel isn't how I would prefer it (solid). Easy 1 finger braking 100% of the time. (180/160 rotors, 160 lb w/gear)

The formula set I felt had a lever feel similar to the Hayes, more solid at the contact point, but didn't get to ride them.

The shimano servo-wave is good depending on how straight your rotors are (or you can get them) and how well adjusted the brakes are. If you're good at getting your rotors straight and your calipers perfect, it's not much of a benefit, since you can run a smaller pad/rotor gap with other styles of brakes and get the same lever position/contact point.

Don't forget you're also looking at mineral oil vs brake fluid and which you prefer, formula/hygia is brake fluid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Oh I didn't mean just run a front brake only. I was thinking you could get those and leave what you have on the rear or switch the rear to a bb7 on your ss that would get under 200 for that brake set. But yea I don't want you running only a front brake and then blaiming menusk on the forums for the advice. Haha. :0). Good luck on your search

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by menusk
    Oh I didn't mean just run a front brake only. I was thinking you could get those and leave what you have on the rear or switch the rear to a bb7 on your ss that would get under 200 for that brake set. But yea I don't want you running only a front brake and then blaiming menusk on the forums for the advice. Haha. :0). Good luck on your search
    Haha, I'm with you. I like the idea, but unfortunately I am a little OCD, and would want the levers to match. I run a 1x9 and even having just 1 shifter on the bar bugs me sometimes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've got the XT's and Hygia SLPs. The XT's are a great set of brakes and are truly zero maintenance. They're tough and work well. The Hygia SLPs are a little bit more temperamental but have equivalent power, slightly better modulation and are lots lighter. For $200 plus an extra $100 worth of tuning bits I've got my Hygia SLP's including rotors, all bolts and mounting hardware down to 630g - see here for tuning article.

If you want a really solid feel on the Hygia's then the steel braided lines deliver that but you cop a bit of a weight penalty. The kevlar reinforced brakeline from carboncycles retains a similar feel but drops some weight. Not sure what the non-steel braided brake line that Hygia uses from the factory is like. Perhaps that's what's giving The_Rizzle a softer feel at the lever?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The elites come with hygia's stainless braided hose. Now, my feel isn't "soft", but its not as firm as my hayes were, thats all. They are very similar in feel to most shimano brakes I've felt.