Thread: Formula RXO

mtbr member

Formula RXO

Looking to upgrade the low end hydros on my current bike and needed some more info on the Fomula RXO setup Formula Rxo Disc Brake Oe > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop . Ive seen several other mix and match from formula before usually with RX levers and R1 calipers but the RO caliper I haven't heard much about. I'm debating between a set of the RXO at $340 which includes rotors and brackets, Shimano XT for $300ish once you get rotors, or SLX 675 which would run me $270 after rotors. The formula with the oval piston sounds like it may have more stopping power than the shimano options and to me it's a better looking brake for whatever that's worth but I don't know anyone locally to ask about Formula brakes. Going on a 29 XL frame with a 170-180 lb rider riding XC/AM

mtbr member
    Get the Shimano LX or XT you will not be disappointed. I had Formulas and replaced them with XT's. What a difference!

Ow!
    Well, Cerberus, I bought those brakes a while back. I put them on my big bike (Nomad), but used my existing rotors (I think Avid/Magura 203/180). Only one ride so far, but they work as expected. I will need to get them on longer downhills to find out how well.

I am a big Formula fan, but because of the earlier models (K24s, old Ones/Megas). These are different in that I feel the same (or more) power, but less modulation (though still very good). Oval sounds interesting for when it heats up, but maybe it is just marketing mumbo-jumbo?

I am not excited about the new Formula rotors though. I tried a new Formula rotor (180) on the rear of the Nomad, but, in bedding it in, it was very noisy. I put the other 180 back on (older Magura I believe), and quiet. I have some of the new Formula 160s on my HT XC bike (with K24s). Work fine, but can feel and hear that they want to squeal (but I never heat those up enough).

So, cannot tell you if these are better than Shimanos for you. I almost bought a pair of XTs, but wanted to try the new Formula style when I saw what Jenson was selling. One thing about the RXO from Jenson is the lever has the no tool adjustment if that is important to you (not all RX levers have that). Anyways, I probably will be pleased with them, but will continue to wonder if Shimano brakes are as good as people say.

The Original Suspect

mtbr member
    That is a good price for these. I have the R1/RX combo and its been working great. Modulation is as good-better than the Juicy 5's i had before. More power. Less noise and vibration. I have yet to experience fade (mostly XC type riding). Lightweight.

Downsides, still a bit tricky to get them lined up to not rub. The 2013 model line is supposed to fix this with more retraction of the pistons. Luckily, all my experience with Juicy's, it really doesn't take long to set them up.

I got mine for $250 a set and these are $200. I wish i would've waited an extra 2 months now.