Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Formula RX or XT brakes?

Looking for new brakes for a trail bike that I'm going to build. Any info on these two brakes or other suggestions would help.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I would go with the Formula RX.

The RX is lighter, great modulation, awesome brake feel.
    I heard many Shimano disk brakes (mostly XT or XTR) screech.
    Best month for MTB is June!

DH.FR.0ne
    ^^
    Agreed, Formula all the way. Formula brakes are excellent on all levels, whereas shimano brakes... aren't.

mtbr member
    i have no experience with XT but my RXs have been great.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    don't like the reach adjustment (or lack of) on the formula r1's. Not sure if they're the same for the rx's.

Maybe you could instead call it lever free play adjustment.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Love my RXs! Still going strong after almost two whole seasons with literally ZERO maintenance other than pads. My buddy has had two sets of XTs in that time. He liked last year's model better.

Just to point something out, Shimano makes EVERYTHING under sun. Formula specializes in brakes. Hmmm...

Flaccid Member
    I've owned Formula K18's, MeGa's and TheOnes. Never a complaint on any model that I've owned, and riding in So Cal, year round is hard on equipment. We get 4 seasons of use where most only get one season, summer.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Owned both and I would go with RX all the way. Much better braking feel and modulation, lots more power.

Nuts
    I have xt775's, RX's, and xt 785's. Right now the the xt 775's are on the Fat Bike and I took the RX's off of my Niner and replaced them with the xt785's and couldn't be happier. Yes the RX's where a little lighter and seem to be made better but the modulation and all around feel is way better on the xt785's. Hands down they are they best brakes I have ever used, the confidence I have gained from using them has been great. To be honest I think they are very cheap looking but the performance and lever feel well exceeded my expectations and there is no way these are coming off my bike and believe me I love bling.

Edit: Failed to mention the 785's have been dead silent from day one!
    Last edited by bdundee; 09-12-2011 at 08:52 PM.
    And I love beer!!

nOOb
    May 2008
    The new XT's are about the best brake I have ever used, I love the levers and one finger is all you need.

WLB
    It's a Mojo mang!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH.FR.0ne View Post
    ^^
    Agreed, Formula all the way. Formula brakes are excellent on all levels, whereas shimano brakes... aren't.
    Gotta respectfully disagree here. The new XT & XTR (& last years for that matter) are excellent performing brakes on every level, power, feel, modulation. I've got a new Mojo SL-R on order, could have specced any brake, went with the new XT. Just my .02

Nuts
    We do need to clarify which Xt's the OP is inquiring about.
    And I love beer!!

Moosehead
    I have both, as well as a set of K24's. I say it is a tie. In fact the XT are much more quiet, but IMO that is just the thinner Formula rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not a peep out of my 2012 XTs. Best brakes I have owned. Power and modulation are excellent.

The new one way bleed is super simple as well

mtbr member
    I think the key point for the xt's is that the 2012 seems to be a HUGE improvement over previous years.
    Bike radar rated them as the best Shimano brakes ever:
    Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake ? First Ride Review - BikeRadar

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    I have both, as well as a set of K24's. I say it is a tie. In fact the XT are much more quiet, but IMO that is just the thinner Formula rotors.
    I'm using Formula R1 rotors with my 2012 xt's and not a peep out of them.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I might also add that I have thourougly abused the XT brakes during the Shenandoah 100. They never once lost power, and never squealed even when wet from creek crossing.

My avids will howl like crazy for no reason.

Lindsay
    You guys should read the recent post about Formula R1 brakes over at socaltrailriders.org. It's funny because, he's selling the same used set Check out the classified section.

I've ridden with people who own formula brakes, make sure you have ear plugs with you!!!

You should hear how they often without fail say "formula brakes are the benchmark".

Okay.....who gives a ?

mtbr member
    I currently have a set of the RX brakes. They are decent, set up very easily and seem to be made well but they squeal constantly. Tried everything - organic pads, metallic pads (Formula brand) cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, sanding the pads then cleaning with alcohol...ok, they don't squeal for the first fifteen minutes of riding after a thorough cleaning but as soon as they get a little dust/dirt on them forget it.

I personally would try the new XT brakes. Nothing but rave reviews on them from what I've read.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
    I currently have a set of the RX brakes. They are decent, set up very easily and seem to be made well but they squeal constantly. Tried everything - organic pads, metallic pads (Formula brand) cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, sanding the pads then cleaning with alcohol...ok, they don't squeal for the first fifteen minutes of riding after a thorough cleaning but as soon as they get a little dust/dirt on them forget it.

I personally would try the new XT brakes. Nothing but rave reviews on them from what I've read.
    If your Formulas are squealing, they are not set up properly, and you probably have glazed the pads, due to overheating, from using too small a rotor. Also, metallic pads get rid of almost all squealing. Get bigger rotors and go with metallic pads. Also, if you have to, set up the brakes with a .005" to .007 feeler gauge on each side between pad and rotor before locking down the position of the caliper with the 5mm adjustment bolts. Bent rotors also cause a lot of problems. Don't ever let anything touch your rotors, including stacking bikes and pedals, axles etc in backs of vehicles or trucks, one on top of another.

Or give me your metallic Formula pads used... I'll gladly take them off your hands

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    If your Formulas are squealing, they are not set up properly, and you probably have glazed the pads, due to overheating, from using too small a rotor. Also, metallic pads get rid of almost all squealing. Get bigger rotors and go with metallic pads. Also, if you have to, set up the brakes with a .005" to .007 feeler gauge on each side between pad and rotor before locking down the position of the caliper with the 5mm adjustment bolts. Bent rotors also cause a lot of problems. Don't ever let anything touch your rotors, including stacking bikes and pedals, axles etc in backs of vehicles or trucks, one on top of another.

Or give me your metallic Formula pads used... I'll gladly take them off your hands
    Hmmm. Well, let's see. I ride in the Midwest where it's virtually flat. I usually only have to brake going into turns - so overheating? Are you serious? I do weigh a whopping 170 lbs - so maybe I'm too heavy? I am currently using metallic pads - I'll send you the organic ones if you really want them..and I also use a Thule T2 to transport my bike and along with constantly cleaning the rotors with isopropyl alcohol like the Formula rep told me to do, not sure what else to try. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong though

g3h6o3
    I use the older Megas on my AM bike and the new XTRs on my XC bike. Both are amazing brakes, I put them on par, they are simply different.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Will you be able to try out for yourself both the brakes? Even a ride around the carpark is not enough. You need to go out on a trail to properly try them out. I think both are very good set of brakes.

Is weight important? Price? The design itself ie how it will look on your bike?

Sometimes I think we become accustom to a brakeset and then when we change to another we feel it is different. Sometimes we tell ourselves that the new brakeset feels better just to justify to ourselves that of the new outlay, when the other set is fine.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
    Hmmm. Well, let's see. I ride in the Midwest where it's virtually flat. I usually only have to brake going into turns - so overheating? Are you serious? I do weigh a whopping 170 lbs - so maybe I'm too heavy? I am currently using metallic pads - I'll send you the organic ones if you really want them..and I also use a Thule T2 to transport my bike and along with constantly cleaning the rotors with isopropyl alcohol like the Formula rep told me to do, not sure what else to try. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong though
    I've had the exact same problem and have tried everything. New pads new rotors threw the xt's on the same rotors and BAM quiet.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've used xt m775, k24, RX, and XTR trail.
    The RX were loud no matter what I did to them until I ditched the 180 r1 rotors. Now I run them on my SS with some oro rotors and are mostly quiet. I suspect any slight warp in the rotors and the RX will be squealing.
    The XTR are definitely the best of the bunch. They have great power, modulate well and are totally quiet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast