Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Formula RX vs Shimano SLX

I see that prices of these setups are very close. Are these brakes really in the same league? Which would you choose (if you really gave up your excellent BB7's)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was in your shoes a couple months ago. Went with the RX's my LBS gave me a good deal. Very good brake, nice power, quiet, great feel, just no pad contact or toolless reach adj.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPar
    I was in your shoes a couple months ago. Went with the RX's my LBS gave me a good deal. Very good brake, nice power, quiet, great feel, just no pad contact or toolless reach adj.
    But you can adjust the reach right?

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Wish I Were Riding,
    Yes, there is a reach adjustment on the RX via a 2.5mm hex key on the front of the lever blade. Also, for 2011 we are introducing an FCS adjuster (Lever contact point) which will bolt right on to any RX brake. Keep an eye out for coverage of it at interbike.

Cheers,
    Chris Costello

Perigeum Development - Formula Brake USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Perigeum Development
    Wish I Were Riding,
    Yes, there is a reach adjustment on the RX via a 2.5mm hex key on the front of the lever blade. Also, for 2011 we are introducing an FCS adjuster (Lever contact point) which will bolt right on to any RX brake. Keep an eye out for coverage of it at interbike.

Cheers,
    Chris Costello

Thanks Chris, when will those 2011 RX's be readily available?

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    We are expecting 2011 brakes to be available some time in November. There will not be any significant changes to the RX line for 2011 - they are essentially the same as the 2010. The FCS adjuster is an aftermarket upgrade for all brakes and will not come as a stock item on any aftermarket model using a radial MC: RX, R1, TheONE FR and TheONE 2010.

Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We are expecting 2011 brakes to be available some time in November. There will not be any significant changes to the RX line for 2011 - they are essentially the same as the 2010. The FCS adjuster is an aftermarket upgrade for all brakes and will not come as a stock item on any aftermarket model using a radial MC: RX, R1, TheONE FR and TheONE 2010.

Cheers,

Chris
    Good to know Chirs, thanks for the info. Which brings up 2 questions:

1) What exactly will the FCS adapter allow me to do exactly?
    2) What is the additional cost of this aftermarket piece?

Nuts
    I just went from xt m775's to RX and love em. Did my first race with them in the muddiest crap you could imagine and they performed perfect. They made a squeal once in awhile but so was every bodies.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the RX. I've got a pair with 7" rotors, and they've always stayed firm and solid, from CO to Sun Valley, ID I've done some burly descents and they've been great. Buddies' Avids going to the bars, and the RX's never missed a beat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Edit, erase erase: nevermind: "forumla RX" doesn't turn up many results. I guess I should learn to type better...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Good to know Chirs, thanks for the info. Which brings up 2 questions:

1) What exactly will the FCS adapter allow me to do exactly?
    2) What is the additional cost of this aftermarket piece?
    Is this the FCS adapter?

Not very expensive, but what does it do? Not enough info here:

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...=G26&Prod=8724

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    WIWR,
    The FCS is a lever contact point adjuster which allows you to change how far the lever throws before it is stopped from the pads starting to contact the rotor. Think barrel adjuster on your old v-brakes or cantis (except that it does not impact the resting position of the pads like on a cable actuated system). Unfortunatly, I do not have any pricing info just yet, but should in the next few weeks.

That picture you posted is the FCS adapter from our old ORO series of brakes and not the same/compatible as the new one for our new radial MC brakes. Because the new FCS has not yet been released in the AM, you most likely wont find any pictures of it or find it for sale yet anywhere.

If you want to email me your contact info, I can get you on our list of people to notify when it becomes available.

Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    Because the new FCS has not yet been released in the AM, you most likely wont find any pictures of it or find it for sale yet anywhere.
    Sure you can find pics, and even a review on Singletracks.com : Formula R1 2011 review

Will there be a 140mm version for 2011? Any internal changes between the 2010 or 2011 model (except AM barel adjuster) ?

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Voila....

Yes there will be a 140mm rear option recommended for XC race use. No major internal changes between the 2 model years.

Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    RX brakes are great. I have a set of RX on my 6" travel bike and a set of XT on my XC bike. I want to get rid of my XT brake set and go with another set of RX on my XC bike. They brake better and are quieter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i love my RX brakes. Great stopping power and great feel. Only problem is that they rub. Once and awhile, they are rub free, but sometimes they will rub and I have to readjust them. And mine squeal like crazy... but they are still great brakes.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by k6monster
    And mine squeal like crazy...
    Always or only when wet?
    And I love beer!!

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    K6monster,
    Glad to hear you are happy with your RX's. Regarding your noise issues, have a look at our noise primer document here which will help you get to the bottom of any noise issues you are having. Regarding the rubbing you are experiencing, give us a call in the office and we can go over some potential solutions for you.

Cheers,

Chris Costello

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    im going to try some of the things to quiet them down. Thanks for the quick replies. I might need to work out some bugs but they are still the best brakes I have ever used.

Nuts
    So far the only downfall I see to the rx brakes are the stock pads.. One muddy race and the pads are shot.
    And I love beer!!

Nuts
    Hey Chris C. how about a little insider tip? Looking to go with a 140mm rear disc is the r1 rotor going to be the same design for 2011 as the2010's?
    Thanks and great brakes......Bob
    And I love beer!!

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I likethis post. I was looking to replace my Avid garbage with something that worked for a reasonable price: the "working" part eliminated Magura and Avid, and the "price" part eliminated higher end Shimano, all Hope and (I thought) Formula. However, I hadn't seen the RXs (I live in Whistler, people either have "excellent" brakes: Saint ... or live with their lackluster stock brakes: Avid) ... looking at them, looks like pretty good times, and the price is right.

Is rebuilding them a reasonable option? That's the one turnoff to the Shimano brakes: something worn? Buy a new one.

Scratch that: The Shimanos are like $40/side cheaper ... how did nobody mention this? The cheapest I can find the RXs is $130-ish ... the SLX are like $90

SIngletrack Mind
    I love the design, aesthetics and build quality of my RX's. Great lever shape, metal pivot over Magura's wear-out-and-replace Delrin, cool looking calipers with top loading pads, internal bladder over Magura's open-and-spill lid... I don't think there's a brake out there that competes, for the price.

Now I just to find out why my left MC is buzzing like an angry bee when I hit the skids...

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny

Now I just to find out why my left MC is buzzing like an angry bee when I hit the skids...
    My left was doing the same thing but it seemed to stop now.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'd say the Formula RX's as I have the SLX's and they are pretty rubbish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast