mtbr member

Formula RX lever squash sound

The rear brake lever on my Formula RX brakes is making a squashing or a spongy sound when its being depressed. It sounds as if brake fluid being squirted out of the master cylinder. The feel of the brake is OK and there are no leaks that I can see. Its probably just air on the inside, but I'm wondering if perhaps one of the internal seals is failing. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    The rear brake lever on my Formula RX brakes is making a squashing or a spongy sound when its being depressed. It sounds as if brake fluid being squirted out of the master cylinder. The feel of the brake is OK and there are no leaks that I can see. Its probably just air on the inside, but I'm wondering if perhaps one of the internal seals is failing. Any ideas?
    Have you recently changed the fluid?
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    yeah, I changed the fluid about two months or so ago. That would be my next step at this point. Just wanted to see if anybody else had experienced this before I try that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had the same problem as well on my R1's (rear only). I also had a little bit of fluid leaking out of the back of the master cylinder breather hole. I sent them in twice and both times they said they didnt see a problem but did notice the fluid. I believe my issue was caused by not properly following Formula's brake bleeding procedure as I was adding a little extra fluid to compensate for lever feel. I found out that to improve lever feel you are suppose to remove the wheel and pump the brakes a couple of times to bring the caliper pistons closer together (This part is not in their procedure). Since I started following their procedure my issue seems to have gone away. I still get a little bit of a siphoning noise but it doesnt sound bad like it did before. I also havent seen any fluid leak out. Hope this helps.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Have the same issue with my the ones. Doesn't seem to effect their power as polar flux said.. I might try bleeding them at some point as the contact point hasn't been to my liking.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll bleed them and see what happens. Interesting about pumping the levers with the wheel out. I always understood that to be bad for hydros since you risk pushing the pistons out too far. Who knew. Funny also that Formula themselves told you this and that is not in their published procedures. Good to know though.