just ride
    Oct 2006

Formula RX front vibration

Hi,

I have new formula rx & 160mm alligator rotor that were torqued down to spec. Today when I took it for a ride, the front wheel or brake caliper was vibrating under load. Just the front though not the rear. I checked everything and it was torqued down. The rotor is not rubbing also. What could this be? Should I break it in? If so, what is the right way of breaking it in?

Thanks!

*edit*

I found out the problem...

The brake pad was riding on the outside edge of the rotor. Please see the picture:

The rotor is 160mm and I have avid adaptor for 160mm rotors:

But this adaptor is setting the brake pads too high that it is clamping on the outside edge of the rotor. Which adaptor should I get for this rotor? Please forward me the link.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tjay; 04-10-2011 at 12:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    This is what you need, first one right at the top of the column, http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2228 .

This is why we say not all adapters are cerated equal. It's always better to use the adapters from the manufacturer that made your brakes. Unless you know some one that has successfully used the exact combination that you want to use.

If the Formula adapter doesn't solve the problem you may want to contact Alligator and/or Formula and see what they recommend.

But do look at the bright side, you now know of one combination of rotor, caliper and adapter that doesn't work well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Update:

After riding my bike for couple of days after my initial post here, I found out that I didnt need an adaptor for the front caliper when using 160mm rotors with this RX. It took a while (3 straight hours to be exact) to have it lined up with minimal rubbing. Yes, there was still rubbing. A friend of mine told me that I have to let it sit and ride it like this for a while but after about a month and few more adjustments, my front brakes is still rubbing and still has this vibration when deep braking is applied. Minimal rubbing to where I dont hear is ok but this one makes this squealing tone and when I spin the tire, it is very obviuos that there's rubbing going on because when I spin both front and rear wheel the rear wheel spins forever while the front is already stopped...

note:
    I have Alligator Serration Disc Brake Rotor 160mm on both front and rear. I've also tried 180mm Formula R1 Rotor with F-R1 adaptor and result is the same, rubbing/vibration.

Please help. I am just about to say F'-IT and buy the R1 front brakes but I'm scared to have the same results...

mtbr member
    Check to see that the rotors are true; turn the bike upside down and watch the rotor at the caliper as you spin the wheel. I have found that many new rotors, both center lock and six bolt are off and I have had to true them in order to get them to behave. This is a tricky process and not always successful. Also, look to see if the pad protrudes past the width of the rotor braking surface on the inside of the radius. If it does you may have to shim out the caliper 1 or 2 mm. I had to do this with XTR centerlocks and my RX's, which work very well.

mtbr member
    The pads may be screwed up from riding it with the Avid adapter.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I ride RX with its R1 rotor (180mm) and the front brake make a mildly annoying buzzing sound. Kind of like a small dry leaf would make if stuck between frame and a knobby tire.

It performs very well otherwise. Multiple attempts to realign caliper did not get rid of the sound.

Any tips on what's up with it?