mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Formula rx advice needed...

Anyone here have any experience with the Formula RX set up? I'm new to all this mountain bike stuff, and only owned the bike 4 weeks. Was out riding it last week at local bike park and my back brake lever started to gain more movement. By that I mean coming closer to the bars. It got to the point where I would have to touch the bar to lock up the wheel. There are no visual leaks within the hydraulic system, so I thought perhaps its the pads burnt out?! But no there's loads of life left in them. I've even looked to see if there is any adjustment at the lever but I can't seem to see anything.
    I'm open to any suggestions as to what I can do?!

bike rider
    Bleed it.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Could I still get air in the system even if there is no obvious sign of a leak?

bike rider
    Maybe. The first step is always to bleed. If it feels great after a bleed but the same symptoms return later call Formula USA, describe the situation, they'll give you an RA# so you can send it in for warranty work. I had a reservoir bladder burst causing the same symptoms and they took care of it. The leak was hidden under where the lever mounts to the bar so it wasn't obvious.

There's a 2mm allen reach adjustment screw where the piston is pushed by the lever but you say the stroke increased, not that the range moved in so I don't think it turned itself randomly. This used to happen to old Hayes brakes but I've never seen it with Formulas since they have pretty distinct detents.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    bleed. It will solve all your problems. I have had Rxs on for over a year now and still feel solid after last bleed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Bleed them first and see how they feel. If they go bad again call formula. Most likely there is a leak somewhere. I've had mine on my Rocky Mtn Element for over a year without ever bleeding them yet and they are still working great. I did put on a new rotor and jagwire pads.
    LOVE THE RIDE!