gears weigh too much

Formula R1 vs Magura Marta Mag SL

I can't decide between these two brakes.
    Both cost about the same.
    Formulas are a little lighter.
    I tend to think it would be easier to get pads and parts for the Maguras but I could be wrong.
    Any opinions? Pros or Cons?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Anyone have any experience with eihter of these brakes? I am wondering the same thing....want to know which brake has better performance.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Check this thread on the 2009 martas "ABS" issue some are having.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5534626

About parts, here in the USA, I have found it harder to get Magura parts than Formulas. I have owned both martas and K18s.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Both are good choices but i would go with the R1. I did.

Ran K24's last year with great results. The quality/support is top notch.

fliernh
    Aug 2008

Happy with Martas

I have been using the Martas on my Stumpy S works for the last year. They have been great. No problems at all and great stopping power and modulation.

I have not had any issue with the abs thing some others have talked about. It might have something to do with the rigidity of the fork/bike involved as well.

Good luck and sounds like you can't go wrong either way.

Mark

OH, and I have had no problem getting pads for them.

mtbr member
    I can't say anything in regard to the Formula R1 besides what I have heard and read (I am sure you have read the same things). My Magura Marta SL Magnesium's came in two days ago and I have had a few rides to break the pads and rotors in. My first impressions are wonderful. They look good, work extremely well, and are very lightweight. I would recommend them over the Formulas based on what I have read. Also, they are cheaper if you get them from the right place. I bought mine from Treefort Bikes for about $275 a piece or you can go to Competitive Cyclist where they have them listed at $365 or so. Customer service is outstanding in my experience as well.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The Formula's are better....

mtbr member
    The R1's are the "flavor of the month" right now. When you actually look at the technology and build quality....you'll realize your buying into the hype.

Live Free or Ride!
    I've used the Martal SL Mag's for a day on a demo bike and they were great, lotsa power and modulation, no squeal, worked great. Can't speak about them over a longer period but they were great that day. As far as parts go, there are so many online retailers out there, that I can't see getting any parts for either brake being a problem.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I used Marta SL and K18 before, i think marta is better and more reliable.

gone for a bike ride

Magnesium Magura Marta's

i've been riding with Mag Marta's for 2 weeks, they are a noticable improvement on the previous versions of the brakes we have 07's & 08's on other bikes.

currently using wheels with 180/160 Marta SL rotors, NO ABS + stopping power is unbelievable. also used drilled Magura rotors and a set of Scrub alloy rotors.

i understand that the R1's are quite powerful + amazingly light, but have a persistant dragging issue with the pads not retracting far enough like XTR M960's often did - that used to drive me nuts trying to tease dragging rotors back in. also Formula parts are alot harder to come by stateside compared to Magura.

hope thats of help.

(edit to correct blah)
    Last edited by culturesponge; 04-13-2009 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Anyone want to trade sine r1's that have 10 rides on them for some mag Marta sl's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xmangox View Post
    The R1's are the "flavor of the month" right now. When you actually look at the technology and build quality....you'll realize your buying into the hype.
    Actually the R1's are the "Flavor of the Last TWO YEARS!!" These brakes and 'The Ones' are the holy grail of brakes. Light, Strong and Inexpensive! Oh well, two out of three is not bad.

Make no mistake that both are great brakes made by the preeminent mountain bike brake manufacturers. Make sure that whichever brakes you buy that you get a 180F/160R configuration. Size makes a difference. It is kind of like air in the tires, rotor size makes a big difference. Both brands have excellent modulation and each has a different lever feel. Try them both and see which one feels better to you.

Cheers,