Formula R1 upgrade

Printable View

  • 11-19-2012
    jim-nc
    Formula R1 upgrade
    Has anyone had there R1 upgraded to the ECT?
    I like to know how much the lever throw increases and if its as much or equal tho the 985 XTR.
  • 11-20-2012
    bt
    I upgraded my F1's to XTR's
  • 11-20-2012
    AOK
    I have. Sent in my 2 year old R1s for the new mods. Lever throw increased quite a bit.

    As it happens, I recently purchased a set of M985s for another bike. I would say that the modified R1 feels pretty similar to the XTRs.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 11-20-2012
    dmode101
    Did the pad clearance increase enough to reduce all rotor rub?
  • 11-20-2012
    Deerhill
    Gonna test the 2013 r1 next week. Have the one FR to compare how much the new style pistons retract
  • 11-21-2012
    AOK
    No rotor rub at all after the mods. Although to be fair, I was pretty adept at adjusting for no rotor rub before the mods too. ;)

    Expanding on the comparison to M985 XTR - the feel of the modified R1s is similar, although I would say that the R1 still feels like it has more stopping power. I would like the XTRs to have a little less free stroke - I may try to adjust this after I trim the lines and get some more time on them.

    Take this with a grain of salt as I only got a few rides on the XTRs while I was waiting for my R1s to come back from Formula. The XTRs are sitting back in the box waiting for my new frame to come in.
  • 11-21-2012
    atekt
    I am definitely interested in doing this. Did you send them directly to Formula USA? What was the cost and turnaround like?
  • 11-21-2012
    AOK
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    I am definitely interested in doing this. Did you send them directly to Formula USA? What was the cost and turnaround like?

    I emailed Formula and they provided me with a RA number. They have two service centers, one on the west coast and one in SC (just outside of Charlotte). You send in your brakes to whichever is closest.

    I had my brakes back roughly a week after I sent them in, so turnaround was fast. (I used the SC service center, fwiw. )

    I think the cost was around $85 per brake. Includes the parts and labor for the mod plus normal bleeding / adjustment / cleaning. Could be slightly off on the price, but it is close to that. I also had them replace my pads, so my total was a little higher.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 11-21-2012
    atekt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I emailed Formula and they provided me with a RA number. They have two service centers, one on the west coast and one in SC (just outside of Charlotte). You send in your brakes to whichever is closest.

    I had my brakes back roughly a week after I sent them in, so turnaround was fast. (I used the SC service center, fwiw. )

    I think the cost was around $85 per brake. Includes the parts and labor for the mod plus normal bleeding / adjustment / cleaning. Could be slightly off on the price, but it is close to that. I also had them replace my pads, so my total was a little higher.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

    Thank you for the quick response, I will be doing this for sure!
  • 11-23-2012
    jim-nc
    XTR or R1
    XTR or R1 upgrade.....What do you think , put the money into the R1 or go with the 985 XTR:madman:
  • 11-23-2012
    veritechy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bt View Post
    I upgraded my F1's to XTR's

    :thumbsup:
  • 01-07-2013
    Deerhill
    No extra room for the rotor on the outboard side
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Gonna test the 2013 r1 next week. Have the one FR to compare how much the new style pistons retract

    Something odd with the caliper, there is extra space for the rotor compared to my other Formula's, but the gap for the rotor is off center.. it's closer to the inboard side.



    Wondering if it's a 2013 manufacturing defect, anyone else have these?