mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Formula R1/RX hybrid?

Formula R1 lever with RX caliper.
    I'm seeing these online for about $250 with rotors but I don't know much about them? I recently broke a lever on my old juicy ultimates and I need something to replace them on my Yelli screamy. Looks like you can get shimano XT's for about that price but that doesn't include any rotors. So, are the formula's worth the money?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I love my formula rx's. It seems that people either hate or absolutely love formula brakes.

That is a good price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I love my formula rx's. It seems that people either hate or absolutely love formula brakes.

That is a good price.
    What do people tend to hate about them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have exactly this combo (came with bike) and in general it's cool one. What I don't like with them, compared to my old brakes (Magura) is, that it's not easy to set them, or better to say, they are not maintenance free, if you want them to run without touching rotors. With Magura I have set this once and left it till I changed pads next time. With Formula, you need bit of work every now and then to have them run without rubbing rotors. No big deal but still.
    Otherwise they are great brakes for me, and there's not all that much difference between R1 levers and RX levers (my wife has RX/RX combo). Except bleeding of R1 lever is much easier since bleeding port is on top of brake, and you don't need to take lever off when bleeding. And of course R1 looks a bit better and it's few grams lighter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by primoz View Post
    I have exactly this combo (came with bike) and in general it's cool one. What I don't like with them, compared to my old brakes (Magura) is, that it's not easy to set them, or better to say, they are not maintenance free, if you want them to run without touching rotors. With Magura I have set this once and left it till I changed pads next time. With Formula, you need bit of work every now and then to have them run without rubbing rotors. No big deal but still.
    Otherwise they are great brakes for me, and there's not all that much difference between R1 levers and RX levers (my wife has RX/RX combo). Except bleeding of R1 lever is much easier since bleeding port is on top of brake, and you don't need to take lever off when bleeding. And of course R1 looks a bit better and it's few grams lighter.
    Would you say the rubbing issues are caused more by the rotor warping or the caliper getting out of alignment?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Would you say the rubbing issues are caused more by the rotor warping or the caliper getting out of alignment?
    To be honest, I don't know. But normally it can be solved with screwdriver pushing pads apart or in worse case with alignment of caliper. So I would say it's not rotor, but when it comes to this, I'm not expert.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    It's probably neither.
    Pre 2013 model Formula brakes have a REAL small pad gap for the rotor. I will agree mine are not maint/alignment free. It's a quick tweak, but you still have to do it.

I would buy these again without question. The only time my brakes stopped working was when I crashed and broke the lever mount on a rock. Some say user error...
    Anyway, I was able to put the brake back together and get it working on the trail. It was ugly, but it got me back out.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    To be honest, I don't know. But normally it can be solved with screwdriver pushing pads apart or in worse case with alignment of caliper. So I would say it's not rotor, but when it comes to this, I'm not expert.

I do this when my pistons need to be cleaned from all the pad gunk. I can't ever remember needing to align the calipers though.

mtbr member
    You wont go wrong with formula brakes. I have RXs and they have amazing stopping power and modulation. Bleeding is simple too. I havent touched them in a year and still work awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I would buy these again without question.
    Not to understand me wrong, I totally agree with this. Even though I mean that what I wrote, it's not big enough problem not to like them So personally, I'm really happy with them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not to understand me wrong, I totally agree with this. Even though I mean that what I wrote, it's not big enough problem not to like them So personally, I'm really happy with them.
    I agreed. I have never had a problem with them that I could not ride. My tweaking is just that I am so picky about them being perfect for every ride. This just isn't the brakes, it's the drivetrain and shocks too.